Remove this ad

ismelltherain

#81 [url]

Sep 25 12 5:42 AM

Agree with everyone on Dr. Drew. The guy exploits addicts for his gain imo. No respect!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

scorpiotl

#82 [url]

Sep 26 12 4:19 PM

@Rain and @Z and everyone I havent read all the thread yet but I have read several pages.  I watched on Sunday night on Directv thru their VH1 on Demand feature and caught I think the first episode with the uy from Mass. who is a heroin addict and the alcoholic mother and the other pill/heroin addict it is so sad and that Dr. Drew is just such a piece of junk.  I will never understand him and what he did taking Mike Starr off of 130mg of methadone c/t and than putting him on Sub but not revealing it until the next season......Dr. Drew should be in jail for manslaughter @ the least with his cruel and inhumane treatment of his patients.....I mean these people are literally @ the end of the line and he takes advantage of them and says hey we will get you into Malibu and help you but he doesn't he just exploits them and their addiction and their families for personal gain so he can kep driving new Porsche Cayenne SUV's and the lavish lifestyle he has in Malibu....it really grates on me...Thank you for the creating this thread Z I really want to find out what I can do other than writng to VH1 to get this piece of work off the air...

Scorp

I'm going to change. This is the last of that sort of thing. Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm gonna be just like u

Quote    Reply   

scorpiotl

#85 [url]

Sep 27 12 5:08 PM

@peter very well said....I couldnt have said it better myself

I'm going to change. This is the last of that sort of thing. Now I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm gonna be just like u

Quote    Reply   

dharmageddon

#86 [url]

Sep 28 12 3:05 AM

It seems corporate america has no soul, Drew is a corporate whore therefore it stands to reason that he also has no soul and is just in it for the $$$. I would rather hear someone in his position just say it, that they are in it for the money and nothing else -- at least I could have a little respect for the honesty -- instead of playing the compassionate do gooder (is that even a word) and faking concern.
UGH! he is nauseating

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be. -Pink Floyd

Quote    Reply   

webwolf1

#87 [url]

Sep 28 12 9:56 AM

I Heard Doctor Drew talking to one of his nurse's and he mentioned increasing one patients Serax IS anybody familiar with that drug, Also I Heard on another show Pinsky talking to a patient and he was telling her that they were giving her some medicine for her withdrawels but he was trying to find a balance, he went on to tell her he did not want to put her to sleep, but he didn't want her feeling as bad as she was either. Thats BULLCRAP. I Truly believe DR. Drew wants his patients to feel as bad as they can without Dyeing to remember how auful  coming off drugs made them feel as part of what he calls their Process, In- Fact you hear him tell them that during In-Take. Drew first asks each patient what kind, and how much of their drug were they doing, Then He Proceeds to tell each patient how Absolutely Horriffic their detox will be. This guy is
 either loaded down with Passive Aggression, or some kind of  WackO that just likes to watch people in distress, The WORSE, the BETTER for them. My bet He's  is BOTH,

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#88 [url]

Sep 28 12 10:16 AM

I decided the other day to find an online show just to see what y'all were talking about and I think I saw that episode...I was shocked too.  I got that same impression that he finds some kind of satisfaction knowing the person is struggling with the detox period.  What is serax?  Would it help?  What is his combinations of detox medicines???  Anyone know.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

whippy witch

#89 [url]

Sep 29 12 7:22 PM

Serax is a benzo.  OLD benzo similar to Dalmane made for insomnia.  Supposed to knock you out.

I remember this drug from years and years ago when I worked in Detox.  The alcoholics called it liquid gold as it caused many of them huge bouts of diarrhea.

WW

Quote    Reply   

whiterobot122

#90 [url]

Sep 29 12 7:48 PM

Yea Serax is Oxazepam, as whippy said a fairly old benzo. It tends to take a while to take effect, I think the only time he will prescribe a 'narcotic' (not really, but you know how he groups things) is for alcohol withdrawal. For any other patients he's just handing them Vistaril and maybe some clonodine, not to mention probably a bunch of IV Vitamins.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#91 [url]

Oct 3 12 7:54 PM

Youch!!!!  I have been in a real funk here lately about this guy Dr. Drew.  I decided I would see what you all were talking about.  I hated treatment sooo bad I have issue with watching anything pertaining to it such as intervention...addicted and now him,

So last night I was helping my mother with her computer and well she drives me crazy anyway...but she is my Mom and I deal with it but she ask me to walk across the street with her and go to this church to eat this meal they have on Tuesday Nights.  Okay let me be honest here...the reason they have the meal is to recruit church members and I think to help the homeless community as there seems to be a lot of people who are homeless, or struggling etc...that come there on Tuesday Nights which I think is wonderful...we are a very small town where we don't have any soup kitchens or any real assistance for the needy and coming from Daytona where this is happening a lot and even being in their same shoes at times in my life I wish more of this went on but last night something happened to me that hasn't happened to me in a long time and when I shared it immediately with my mother her response kinda hurt but it was true.  She said well maybe you need a reminder every once in a while and maybe I do but I didn't like the feeling it was a Deja-Vu Moment. 

I felt this moment hit from the first bite....you know where the food taste like it was fixed earlier and sat in it's sweat in ten foil containers etc...(I know that is a weird way to explain it but true) and all of a sudden my mind went back to my treatment days specifically the last one in 2006 and when I thought about it for a moment I realized that yesterday's date was exactly 6 years ago to date that I left treatment (graduated).  I was wondering if there is a way the physical body can directly relate itself back in flash backs on exact dates and such like this as this moment lasted much longer than a moment.  I kept eating the food even though I was hating it....the taste...the temperature....the smells...the environment....the people...the mom issue etc.....I had watched Dr. Drew earlier too so I was sickened by it....Next thing I know I am driving from my mom's thinking about getting high.....

My Mother has no idea I relapsed a few years ago...well actually I only made it about 7 months after treatment but...I have been on MMT the last 3 years and she doesn't know.  Just felt like mentioning that I am not sure why but maybe it has something to do with that or what she said to me....I don't know.  Today has been much better Thank Goodness.  I think I will skip Dr. Dick for a while though. 

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

dharmageddon

#92 [url]

Oct 3 12 9:38 PM

WAY--The more you reveal the more I learn that you and I have in common. I totally believe in what I call "cell memory". I think of it as a kind of sub/unconscious memory that our body remembers whether our mind does or not. Our olfactory (sense of smell) bulb is known to be one of the most powerful parts of our brain when it comes to memories and association. Certain smell stimuli will take me back to places, events, or situations that I may have forgotten long ago. It is bizarre how it happens but it does. I am willing to bet that the combination of all you described was just the right formula to stir up those memories and obviously trigger you -- good you made it through. I spent yesterday with my Mom too and always have to decompress afterward. She does not know about me being on methadone and I have never shared details of my drug use with her. She has done some damaging things to me by running her mouth so I hate to say it but I cannot totally trust her with my secrets. It sucks but its very true.

So....stay away from Dr. Drew. Check our Jana Burnson (I think that is the right name) or someone else who is an actual expert in the field. Pinsky is in it for the wrong reason and whichever corporate dick he is sucking obviously is anti MMT. It makes me wish horrible things like that one of his triplets end up opiate addicted and things like that....I DON"T REALLY WISH SUCH....but I wish something would happen to help him gain perspective on a personal level, ya know? I hate people that refuse to see all the shades of grey in between their black and white existence.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be. -Pink Floyd

Quote    Reply   

imthe1guy

#93 [url]

Oct 4 12 2:07 PM

wayoveryourhead , you sound truthfull , and i'm glad you didnt use like myself mmt is the answer/ i hope so its workin for 3 months  now , and no other pills just the green crap. i will be clean in a  year , it's my GOAL.

live n let die

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#95 [url]

Oct 4 12 4:40 PM

Yeah it took me a day or so to get back into the swing of things....the deja-vu and my mom all in the same instance.....formulated a trigger.  Had I not been on mmt I would have been at the dopeman's house so I so appreciate mmt and all it does for me at this moment so I needed to gain gratitude I think was the lesson here.  I feel grateful.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#96 [url]

Oct 15 12 7:05 PM

CHECK OUT ONE OF THE NEW AT FORUM NEWSLETTER HOT TOPICS

http://atforum.com/news/2012/10/hearing-bad-things-about-methadone-treatment-thank-%E2%80%9Cdr-drew%E2%80%9D/

Hearing Bad Things about Methadone Treatment? Thank “Dr. Drew”

Why is it that most opioid-dependent patients aren’t enrolled in medication-assisted treatment (MAT), despite its proven effectiveness?
One reason is the link between so-called reality television and negative perceptions about methadone and buprenorphine. That’s the thinking of the authors of “Messages About Methadone and Buprenorphine in Reality Television: A Content Analysis of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.” Published online in Substance Use & Misuse, January 8, 2012, the article analyzes all episodes in the first four seasons of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.
First aired in January 2008, the show features Dr. Drew’s interactions with celebrities being treated at the Pasadena Recovery Center, a residential facility in California. One wonders what motivates patients to go “on camera”—such as the woman who allowed her withdrawal convulsions to be shown to hundreds of thousands of viewers.
Linking reality TV and attitudes toward MAT seems logical. TV exposes us to nuances—tone of voice, facial expression. When a fatherly “Dr. Drew” softly confides, “methadone just takes your soul away. It’s no way to live,” people listen intently, and many take it to heart.
Study Design
Researchers analyzed the quantity and slant of the show’s messages about treating opioid dependence with methadone and buprenorphine. They watched all 39 episodes of the first four seasons of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, and coded the data using scientifically accepted methods.
Results
Of the 33 patients portrayed, 13—about 40 percent—were using or had used opioids. Of these, 4—about 30 percent—used methadone or buprenorphine.
The two main messages: methadone and buprenorphine are primarily drugs of abuse, and are not acceptable treatment options.
References to Methadone and Buprenorphine

Methadone
Buprenorphine
Times referred to
As a drug of abuse
17 (85)*
7 (87.5)
Rejected as a treatment option
13 (15)
Endorsed as treatment option for opioid dependence
*times (%)

Mentions of methadone and buprenorphine in Dr. Drew’s show “highlighted harmful effects and focused on how and why patients should stop using them,” the authors found.
For example, Dr. Drew advised a patient trying to cope with opioid withdrawal symptoms that methadone can create another addiction. Thus he “reaffirmed a negative perception that has been cited as a reason for forgoing enrollment in medication-assisted treatment,” the authors noted. Dr. Drew also said some patients develop severe methadone withdrawal that “leads to medical and psychiatric complications that require hospitalizations.”
Authors’ Comments
The authors found that Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew reinforces negative stereotypes, presents misinformation, may perpetuate existing stigma toward addiction and its treatment, and undercuts support for its expansion.
Roose R, Fuentes L, Cheema M. Messages about methadone and buprenorphine in reality television: A content analysis of celebrity rehab with Dr. Drew [published online ahead of print, 2012]. Substance Use & Misuse. doi: 10.3109/10826084.2012.680172.
http://www.vh1.com/search/?q=dr+drew
What’s behind Dr. Drew’s attitude? Surfing the Web and watching him in action provides clues. The folksy “Dr. Drew” (“Dr. Drew Pinsky”) is at times a showman, at times a controlling father-figure, and at times seemingly a friend—but always an authority who is not to be questioned.
Dr. Drew is fully credentialed: board-certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine and American Board of Addiction Medicine, licensed private practitioner, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of Southern California.
In his 2009 book, The Mirror Effect, Dr. Drew admits that he has some traits of a “closet narcissist,” having scored a 16 on the Narcissistic Personality Inventory. He has been a TV series actor. Has starred on several reality shows, including Sex . . . With Mom and Dad. The New York Times has described Dr. Drew’s combined career in medicine and mass media as requiring him to navigate “a precarious balance of professionalism and salaciousness.” In a 2009 interview, the Times questioned Dr. Drew about his practice of paying addicts to attend rehab—asking if luring cast members with promises of money and exposure didn’t cast doubt on their commitment to sobriety. “My whole thing is bait and switch,” Dr. Drew explained. “Whatever motivates them to come in, that’s fine. Then we can get them involved with the process.”
But where are the data for his methods? Dr. Drew doesn’t cite any studies in the huge body of evidence matching patients with treatment. Nor does he mention the ASAM criteria, which list methadone and buprenorphine as treatments of choice for opioid addiction.
There’s a big difference between obtaining exposure and publicity, and providing treatment for substance use disorders. We shouldn’t confuse them, as Dr. Drew does—buying exposure in the guise of treatment.
If there’s a place for the methods and opinions of the Dr. Drews of this world, it’s not in the realm of evidence-based addiction medicine.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

zenith

#98 [url]

Oct 15 12 7:35 PM

Amen to that! I;'m so glad someone besides me wrote that down--someone with authority!

I watched him last night, as he was telling the young man "Drewbie", a hard core heroin addict with 12 failed abstinence based rehabs behind him, and who was experiencing severe anxiety from withdrawals and the ever present cameras in his face that he was just "making up excuses" to leave treatment again, and he privately told the viewing audience that the patient had been through treatment 12 times but they were hoping THIS TIME it would work--but not if Drewbie doesn't start getting honest and opening up, blah blah.

He and "Shelley" the tech kept telling this poor kid that he was going to be dead any minute now and how they hated to keep burying people, but never was a word said about well, gee, maybe it MIGHT be better to have him on that "soul stealing" methadone than have him almost 100% certainly be DEAD.  I mean, 12 times isn't enough to tell them this isn't working!!!???

ANd in the scenes for next week, we see the hard core alcoholic fall to the ground frothing at the mouth in a full blown seizure--once again, Dr Drew tries his darndest to kill his patient in the name of entertainment. . 

Question Authority!

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#99 [url]

Oct 15 12 7:57 PM

Uh huh and the only kid I like left...do u think he is gone for good...personally they both looked to me like the camera's caught them doing something behind that fence before what's her name (big lipped) found them outside the AA meeting...He probably didn't want to skew his technique by adding this to the show but Drewbie looked in his delay to come from behind the fence as he was putting something out of sight/away...I hate I am watching the effin show but because these are not celebs....I am intrigued.  And I have formed a connection to the young man that walked out...I don't really think any of them have long term hope.  I am not convinced maybe later but as of yet?  No

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

ccourtneymac

#100 [url]

Oct 15 12 11:01 PM

I am wondering if that techs lips are swollen and crooked like that 'cause she had 'em shot up with filler to make 'em full and sexy.  If so...FAIL!

The part I found really heartwarming is when that kid got to do martial arts again.  You could see a reawakening in the kid, which was worth watching the whole show for.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help