Remove this ad

zenith

#21 [url]

Sep 18 12 11:03 AM

Reporters LOVE him because he is always available for a quick soundbite on the latest celebrity OD or death or admission to rehab or just one too many drinks. He will comment on anyone and everyone, blithely diagnosing them without ever having even met them.

Question Authority!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

ptrsnake13

#23 [url]

Sep 18 12 1:12 PM

@Way, he's also being sued for accepting over 200,000$ for pushing some anti depressant which I have forgotten and saying one woman who took it had 60 orgasms in ONE DAY!!! How could any doctor say such a thing. I'm glad he's being investigated but you haven't seen much in the news since the first day because they tried to squash it.
Pete

Quote    Reply   

ptrsnake13

#24 [url]

Sep 18 12 1:15 PM

Now he even has gotten involved with interviewing the girls from the Teen Mom show. Wherever there's a camera and a paycheck you will find him. He's a jack of all trades and a master of none
Pete

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#25 [url]

Sep 18 12 1:30 PM

@Way, he's also being sued for accepting over 200,000$ for pushing some anti depressant which I have forgotten and saying one woman who took it had 60 orgasms in ONE DAY!!! How could any doctor say such a thing. I'm glad he's being investigated but you haven't seen much in the news since the first day because they tried to squash it.
Pete

-ptrsnake13

PGAD    I got this one time from Benzo withdrawals this was terrible......

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#26 [url]

Sep 18 12 2:35 PM

Oh wow decided there was no way I was watching him on TV to promote his show one damn bit went online watched the episode of admissions on Michael lohan. sean young....amy fisher etc.... OMG saw the duck bill lips as he listened to there first meeting together.  He actually dismisses on of them with his hands like see ya later alligator.  very very patronizing...And I have been in rehab many many times...

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

zenith

#27 [url]

Sep 18 12 8:08 PM

@Way, he's also being sued for accepting over 200,000$ for pushing some anti depressant which I have forgotten and saying one woman who took it had 60 orgasms in ONE DAY!!! How could any doctor say such a thing. I'm glad he's being investigated but you haven't seen much in the news since the first day because they tried to squash it.Pete

-ptrsnake13

link link link! I wanna see!

Question Authority!

Quote    Reply   

ccourtneymac

#29 [url]

Sep 18 12 8:36 PM

Here is a link to one of his lawsuits...is this it, Pete?

The lawsuit claims that Dr. Drew was paid to make statements about two antidepressants that had NOT been approved by the FDA.  The statements, not the antidepressants.

Not that this is what the lawsuit is about, but I do not see what is wrong with using drugs for off-label purposes.

Here is the link:

http://www.hop-law.com/lawsuit-reveals-dr-drew-was-paid-spokesman-for-antidepressant-maker/

A lawsuit filed by the Department of Justice against drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) has revealed that celebrity physician Dr. Drew Pinsky received thousands of dollars to act as a spokesman for the company’s antidepressant, Wellbutrin SR. GSK recently agreed to pay $3 billion to settle Justice Department claims that it illegally marketed Wellbutrin SR and another antidepressant, Paxil, including payments made to doctors to promote the drugs for off-label use.

Pinsky—known popularly as Dr. Drew—has been the host of several television programs, including VH1’s Celebrity RehabDr. Drew on HLN and Dr. Drew’s Lifechangers on the CW. At the time he was being paid by GSK, Pinsky was the host of the radio show Loveline.

According to the complaint against GSK, Pinsky was paid $275,000 in March and April 1999 to appear on a national radio program and make other speaking appearances. During this time, he promoted Wellbutrin as having fewer sexual side effects than other antidepressants—despite the fact that the Food and Drug Administration had not approved these claims about the drug.

The Department of Justice said in its lawsuit that these paid speaking appearances on behalf of the drugmaker occurred “in settings where it did not appear that Dr. Pinsky was speaking for GSK.” Although Pinsky has claimed that his statements about Wellbutrin were based on his clinical experience as a psychologist, a note from a GSK’s PR firm included with a transcript of the radio program stated that “during the fifteen minute segment, Dr. Pinsky communicated key campaign messages” about Wellbutrin.

Quote    Reply   

ccourtneymac

#30 [url]

Sep 18 12 8:41 PM

Here is on about the orgasms, the one we ALL wanted to see!  I have boldfaced that part.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/health/120706/dr-drew-cosies-big-pharma-says-judge

Dr. Drew Pinsky is cited by Feds as receiving drug company money to promote an anti-depressant.

The celebrity physician was named in a lawsuit against British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) who was fined for making false claims and paying physicians to tout a drug for uses not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, said the Wall Street Journal.

GSK recent paid $3 billion in criminal violations for misreporting drug prices and illegal marketing.

Though his actions do not constitute a crime, the Atlantic reported that Dr. Drew was given $275,000 to promote the anti-depressant Wellbutrin as a libido-enhancing drug.

The federal judge said that Pinsky was one of GSK's paid experts in the late 1990s who helped advertise the drug to listeners of his radio show "Loveline," reported Forbes.

More from GlobalPostWorked Over: The Global Decline of Labor Rights

Pinsky was accused of telling a patient that the drug was behind her dozens of orgasms she claimed to have during one night of lovemaking.

According to the LAist, Dr. Drew said in a statement that his comments were consistent with his clinical experience - a common explanation of doctors accused of cosying up to big pharma companies.

According to ProPublica, Dr. Drew is no stranger to drug company money.

Pinsky was also paid to act as a consultant by Johnson & Johnson two years before.

The Atlantic reported that Pinsky also sells advertising spots on his Twitter account, yet those he makes clear are paid for by other companies.

Pinsky currently hosts the program Dr. Drew on HLN.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

ptrsnake13

#34 [url]

Sep 19 12 3:49 AM

http://www.insidecounsel.com/2012/07/05/dr-drew-pinsky-paid-by-glaxo-to-promote-wellbutrin
One more. Just put him in the browser and a lot of his secrets show up. He's like people who get on-line licebses to be Reverands just so thy don't have to pay income tax because they're a religous organization. He's the lowest. Well maybe not because not all Douches like him are lured to the limelight. His problem is that the love of his life for many many years as been--HIM,SELF
pETE

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#36 [url]

Sep 19 12 4:26 AM

All these payments from drug companies etc just show that all the man cares about is $$$ and fame. He doesn't give two hoots about his "patients", just his viewing figures and bank balances

@Z - the faces, lol!

Quote    Reply   

mike75

#37 [url]

Sep 19 12 8:22 AM

Nirvana was alright but i absolutely loved Alice In Chains probably the best band to come out of the 90's and they lost singer Layne Staley and Mike Starr and it was heroin that caused the downfall.This Pinsky guy should be deeply ashamed for what he did to Mike and also others especially those dealing with opiates.

Quote    Reply   

ptrsnake13

#38 [url]

Sep 19 12 9:05 AM

He'll never be ashamed. Your choice to pick up again. You die from an o'd. You should've worked the steps, the only true way to stay clean. That's what he'd say. A doctor attacks a disease from many different angles acording to the type, lenght etc. He has only 2 ways. Take his 12 steps and give him money. The only way to stop him is economically. Not watching but we all know people love to see a car wreck as it's happening. Most watch it as a drama or a comedy, not to learn about rehabilitation. Problem is that for what ever reason you watch, it gets the ratings. These down on their luck actors wouldn't go on the show themselves if it weren't for the money. I mentioned before that the addicts get paid on average of 100-200,000$. What down on their luck addict wouldn't jump for it. I'm just all over the place here because I can't believe the irresponsibility of these shows just for the sake of cashing in. Ultimately we have to turn it off. That's how we get to be in charge of program cancellations.
Pete

Quote    Reply   

dharmageddon

#40 [url]

Sep 19 12 1:39 PM

He is often so condescending--like when he comments on people he doesn't even know and he start by saying "Well if I, (the almighty Dr. Drew) were treating him/her we would have to begin by removing all the substances"....then he goes on to give the canned, contrived speech about how they need to admit their problem and seek help, only to end it with a veiled invitation for the person or their agent to get in touch with him bc he can certainly save their life! Gag me with a ginsu knife! Seriously, I imagine he started out with good intentions but somewhere along the way his mind closed and his pockets opened. One person can never know everything. None of us are a flowchart that can be healed by the process of elimination, ugh! seriously....I digress, sorry. Ya know, it would be annoying to have everyone calling and asking for a few words on addiction and feeling like you have to say yes, but maybe he should take his own advice and create some boundaries and say "No" sometimes. I have a hard time believing celebrities to begin with, and especially when they seem to turn up everywhere you look.
I wonder if the guy Seth is ok, he was on celebrity rehab and was smoking crack on the roof of the treatment center. I didn't follow the show but the couple of times I saw it or read about it he seemed like Drew's "problem child". I can't remember what band he was in but he was apparently very talented. The show addressed his talent but of course focused on the fact that in the grip of full blown addiction he was destined to die. I think he was even told that they (the treatment team) had washed their hands of him b/c they felt he was hopeless....wtf kind of thing is that to say to an addict. I get that addicts can be a lot of things, and can be extremely tough to deal with. As difficult as we are it is my belief that we are equally as fragile underneath it all. In early days of detox or treatment people are so totally unpredictable it seems they should be handled with kid gloves. Hell, give them dude some time to gain strength and confidence. Either Drew or the counselor Bob Forrest went after Seth I believe but I have no idea how it all turned out. I should google it probably.
I get it. Ultimately we are all responsible for our own recovery, our own lives for that matter. Although addicts can be horrifically manipulative and dishonest it still seems to me that when someone is in the role of "helping" guide addicts seeking help they should always give them the benefit of the doubt and keep some type of empathy in their heart. If that isn't there then maybe they are in the wrong field. I don't know, I mean it has to be hard watching so many try and fail but just like they tell us: focus on the growth and positive changes. Every failure is an opportunity and as long as we learn from the experience it is not a true failure.
OK....off the soapbox. Sorry if I am restating the obvious. It just hits my nerve (the only one left!!) when I think about some of this stuff. Thanks for reading my rant!

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be. -Pink Floyd

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help