Remove this ad

rclark231

Lead

Jun 15 12 6:40 AM

Tags : :

What is up with the bottle  take home policy in Connecticut - was just getting ready to get my 13 day take homes , and all of a sudden am told the most take home bottles Connecticut allows is 6 bottles WTF.. How can they just change these policies - when federal guidelines allow 13 bottle take homes after 2 years good standing(see below)

Patient Time in Treatment Maximum Take-Home Medication Permissible (not automatic) 1-90 days 1 time in treatment take-home a week, and 1 program closure-holiday take-home if the program is closed for business Sundays, including State and Federal holidays. 91-180 days 2 time in treatment take-homes a week, and 1 program closure-holiday take-home if the program is closed for business Sundays, including State and Federal holidays. 181-270 days 3 time in treatment take-homes a week, and 1 program closure-holiday take-home if the program is closed for business Sundays, including State and Federal holidays. 271-365 days 6 time in treatment take-homes a week (reporting once a week). After 1 year Up to 14 days time in treatment take-homes (reporting up to twice a month). After 2 years Up to 31 days time in treatment take-homes (reporting up to once a month).

Is there anyway to protest this policy change?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

whippy witch

#1 [url]

Jun 15 12 6:55 AM

I don't know about protesting a change.  But the Federal Guidelines as you have put in your post are simply that, Guidelines or The MINIMUM requirement needed.  Clinics also have to abide by State Administrative Codes and if they are accredited that accreditation body has to have guidelines they follow.  

So if a clinic writes a policy as long as it is within what the Federal, State and Accreditating bodies say they are ok. 

An example is Federal Guidelines say no less then 8 Urine drug tests in a year.  Oklahoma Admin codes say monthly UA Testing, our policy says monthly to meet all of their minimums.  

At our clinics we acknowledge there are higher phases of carry status but that our clinic policy is no more the 6 or Weekly carries regularly, we however do give more for special, vacation and work carries when needed and notice in advance.

WW

Quote    Reply   

rclark231

#2 [url]

Jun 15 12 7:15 AM

The reason I posted this info on policy change (in CT) is because this worries me - what's to say they(state or feds) decide to pull all take homes , as a matter of fact this happened in New Haven a few years ago - because there was a rash of people selling take homes , and the clinic got wind of it and pulled ALL bottles for everyone for over a year> This kind of shit makes you feel so impotent as a patient, but I guess I should just suck it up .. cause after being on MMT  for many years : i know when the powers that be in the MMT heirarchy  say "jump" we as patients have to say "how high"  - due to having that bottle of methadone dangling over our heads - knowing it could be snatched away at any time..

Quote    Reply   

ccourtneymac

#3 [url]

Jun 15 12 7:28 AM

@Rclark, you might want to take a look at the thread titled "I Had to Rat Someone Out Today."  The accompanying discussion strikes at the very heart of the problems you are now having.

Most of us are pro-snitch when it comes to people conducting illicit activity on clinic grounds.
A few others felt that the people involved in criminal activity should be given a pass because they are sick and desperate.

The point being, the more trouble reported to the public/police/press about methadone clinics, the more privileges WE get taken from us, just like what you are experiencing now.  THIS IS WHY WE MUST POLICE OURSELVES AND OUR BRETHREN.  PERIOD.  THE PATIENTS PICK UP THE TAB EACH AND EVERY TIME!!!

Quote    Reply   

whippy witch

#4 [url]

Jun 15 12 7:35 AM

And believe me R there are those of us that work in this field that often feel the same way.  That no matter how hard we work or try to make things better someone is out there going "Nope not gonna happen".

I can remember fighting the DEA guys and telling them, the methadone on the streets is pills!  And those have been prescribed by Primary Care Doctors!  They actually stood there and said no way.  the only illegal methadone on the streets is coming from Methadone Clinics.  Then Samhsa did a study and they stopped Doctors from prescribing wafers and can only have wafers in clinics.  And Viola'  The DEA sees the light after 4 years of fighting with em!

So as you say, we want to stay helping people when they say jump we ask " How High? and how many times?"

WW

Quote    Reply   

ptrsnake13

#5 [url]

Jun 15 12 8:53 AM

Unfortunately, clinics can modify or just ignore federal regulations. My clinic only allows 1 week p/ups while their other office allow monthlies. I guess it depends on the "Game of Thrones" and who's in power this month
Pete

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

rclark231

#6 [url]

Jun 20 12 8:31 AM

update : yesterday(6/19/12) my clinic changed their story - now they are saying that this is a new Federal guideline that trickeled (?)  down to the state causing them to discontinue 13 day take homes.. It sounds like a bunch of B.S.  >  can't get a straight answer from any of the clinic personel 

Quote    Reply   

whippy witch

#7 [url]

Jun 20 12 8:55 AM

SAMHSA which is Federal Guidelines about 2 years ago sent a letter out to clinics ADVISING they discontinue Monthly Take - Homes.  However they did not make it mandatory.

However Here is a link to Code of federal Regulations Opioid Treatment.  Please read to your hearts content.  

I also have a copy of Accredidation Guidelines for Opioid Treatment Centers if you want it. 

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?type=simple&c=ecfr&cc=ecfr&sid=9cbb3d403eb44ec8b5c0cea7b1d945c2&idno=42&region=DIV1&q1
=Opioid&rgn=Full+text

Or put in Google search Code of Federal Regulations when it pulls stuff up go to Electronic CFR then click on Simple search put in where it says enter a title number put in 42 in the search for box put in opioid and viola'!

http://dpt.samhsa.gov/pdf/OTPAccredGuidelines-2007.pdf

Quote    Reply   

beeme

#8 [url]

Jul 19 13 4:12 AM

CT Hartford Dispensary Clinic has this policy if you pay via State Ins.  At one time the Clinic overbilled and ever since there has been an agreement that persons that have their methadone paid via the state have to appear once a week. No matter how long you been on the clinic or how long you've been clean.  SUCKS!

Quote    Reply   

beeme

#9 [url]

Jul 19 13 4:13 AM

CT Hartford Dispensary Clinic has this policy if you pay via State Ins.  At one time the Clinic overbilled and ever since there has been an agreement that persons that have their methadone paid via the state have to appear once a week. No matter how long you been on the clinic or how long you've been clean.  SUCKS!

-beeme

Quote    Reply   

Mst90

#10 [url]

May 18 16 5:50 AM

Re: Take Home Policy CT

Hello,
At the CT clinic I frequent, the policy is as follows- if you are self-paying, you may receive up to 13 bottles. If you have Medicaid, Medicare or other insurances, you may receive up to 6 bottles- per insurance guidelines. I hope this clears things up for you. image

MST

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help