Remove this ad

jessika 47721

#21 [url]

Mar 7 12 9:47 AM

haha same for me. mine were really heavy too. now i don't have to worry about them anymore. from what everyone is saying on here its not really unhealthy to not have cycles. i hope thats the truth in our case.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

jessika 47721

#22 [url]

Mar 7 12 9:53 AM

i did take a progestrone pill but it was only for 5 days . my gyno gave it to me so i could start, but it never worked. the hormones in the methadone must be super strong to throw my body off this bad!

Quote    Reply   

mac

#25 [url]

Mar 7 12 12:54 PM

Amazing Thermal Regulating Fabric--Not TOO Hot. Not TOO Cold. Just RIGHT.

Bamboo fabric can adjust to your body temperature. It has millions of micro gaps in the fiber making it one the fasting wicking fabrics available, those millions of micro gaps make our bamboo sheets much more breathable than any fine cotton sheet. This means you will stay cooler and more comfortable in the summer and the fabric warm you faster in the winter. However, you don't have to worry about overheating, because these micro gaps allow more air to flow between the fabric and your skin.

Many customers tell us that until trying bamboo bliss they would throw off their top sheet when they slept because it made them too hot. With our bamboo bed sheets you will not want to sleep without a top sheet. Our fabric drapes your body perfectly, and it breathes 10-20 times better than any fine silk (silk is one of the worst wicking fabrics).

Great for Pregnancy or Menopause Hot Flashes!

Bamboo Fabrics are Hypoallergenic & Naturally Antibacterial

Our sheets are constructed with top quality bamboo yarn. Most fabrics that are advertised as anti-microbial have had chemical treatments applied to the textile or into the yarn itself. Bamboo fibers are naturally anti-microbial, only 100% bamboo textiles contain an agent called "bamboo kunh" this agent prevents bacteria from cultivating. It is one of the best fibers known for people who suffer from allergies to chemicals and bed or dust mites.

When cotton sheets heat up they retain much more moisture than bamboo sheets. Therefore bacteria is quick to form on cotton. Tests have shown bed mites can form on sheets in just hours after lying on them, bamboo prevents and repels bed and dust mites like almost nothing else can (other than the sun). This keeps your sheets feeling fresh and odor free for much longer than any cotton sheet can.

Bamboo Textiles are Good for Us AND our Planet!

Bamboo fabrics are highly sustainable and biodegradable. Bamboo textiles are made from of Moso bamboo--don't worry, it's not the type that pandas eat. Bamboo generates much more oxygen than equivalent strands of trees, helping to reduce levels of carbon dioxide. It is also self-irrigating and requires much less water than the equivalent cotton crops. Bamboo is an incredible resource with so many practical uses--not only bedding, but clothing, flooring, furniture, etc. It's nice to know we can contribute our own healthy living and to the health of our planet.

Quote    Reply   

momo

#26 [url]

Mar 7 12 4:49 PM

i did take a progestrone pill but it was only for 5 days . my gyno gave it to me so i could start, but it never worked. the hormones in the methadone must be super strong to throw my body off this bad!

-jessika_47721

There are no hormones in methadone.
PCOS stands for Poly cyctic ovary sydrome. It's a disease where women get cysts on their ovaries that are harmful (not to be confused with the normal cysts that a lot of women get). These cysts causes hormonal problems and infertility.

Quote    Reply   

methadone pretty

#27 [url]

Mar 8 12 1:18 PM

Granted, short term amenorrhea is not necessarily harmful in itself.

However, the reason for continued lack of menstruation amongst opiate addicts i.e. lowered and/or disrupted levels of oestrogen/ progestogen can in turn cause reduced bone density, leading to bone loss, and a much higher than usual risk of osteoporosis and osteopenia at a much younger age.

This is something that I think will become a more widely publicised issue soon, as there's a lot more scientific research focused the current generation of long term female heroin/ methadone addicts than ever before.

This is an effect of opiate abuse that is under-represented in both harm reduction drug addiction resources and mainstream pain management medicine. However there are plenty of scientific studies / journal articles which focus on this issue (links below).

It's something of particular concern to me also; I've been a heroin user since I was 16, I'm 26 now and my periods only really came back at all last year after being stabilised on methadone for 18 months. They're still fairly rare and erratic though. I'm not sure my endocrinal / hormonal system would even have been fully developed when I started using at that age.

Anyway, here are a few cited studies on the subject:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1465-3362.2010.00242.x/abstract;jsessionid=BDF1E5D7EF94F6B18B6F432CE93DE4FE.d04t01?userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=

https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/handle/1807/17398

http://mobile.journals.lww.com/clinicalpain/_layouts/oaks.journals.mobile/abstractviewer.aspx?year=2009&issue=02000&article=00015

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9172234/

Quote    Reply   

wren

#28 [url]

Mar 8 12 1:36 PM

On heroin, daily high-level user, my periods stopped completely and despite a fair amount of unprotected sex, I did not get pregnant. I don't think I was ovulating.

When I'd go to rehab, they'd return to normal in about 3 months. Normal for me is 31 day cycles.

On Norco (at ~300 mg hydrocodone per day), my periods were irregular with longer cycles (~45-60 days).

On methadone at a higher dose, cycles were even longer (~90 days).

On a lower dose of methadone, they occur pretty regularly, although still only every other month.

Here's the conclusion: any daily opioid will slow/stop my periods.

On a related note, opioids will also cause urinary retention/hesitancy. In my experience, oral morphine is the worst offender and, for me, has a high side effect to benefit ratio. I hypothesize this is due to a low oral bioavailability combined with high tolerance. IOW, you require a high dose to offset tolerance, but you still get the side effects of taking a large dose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morphine and other narcotics can decrease circulating levels of hormones including estrogen, testosterone and other sex hormones. Reduced levels of adrenal gland hormones such as cortisol also occur. Decreased testosterone levels in men on morphine may cause loss of interest in sexual activity, erectile dysfunction, and low energy levels. Low estrogen levels in women on morphine can cause menstrual irregularities and decreased sex drive.

from http://www.livestrong.com/article/101692-effects-morphine/

Quote    Reply   

jessika 47721

#29 [url]

Mar 9 12 1:04 PM

thank you so much for the link. it really helped me a lot. it makes a lot of sense too because i have noticed a low sex drive too along with no periods.

Quote    Reply   

jessika 47721

#30 [url]

Mar 9 12 1:06 PM

i had never had trouble having my periods on lorecet percs or o.c.'s Im not sure why the methadone has givin me such a problem not having periods.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#31 [url]

Mar 9 12 1:47 PM

i had never had trouble having my periods on lorecet percs or o.c.'s Im not sure why the methadone has givin me such a problem not having periods.

-jessika_47721

It could be because of the longer half life or longer acting opiate as the lorcets etc are not long acting.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

crystal adkins21

#32 [url]

Apr 12 13 9:21 AM

Thank God I found this site! I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have been on liquid Methadone for a little over a year now, and I haven't had a period since. I wasn't sure if it was because of the Methadone, but I found it strange that this all really started when I started treatment. Please reply and let me know your experience!

Crystal Adkins

Quote    Reply   

crystal adkins21

#33 [url]

Apr 12 13 9:30 AM

Even when I was using, my period was irregular. The only time I ever really had a normal menstral cycle was when I was not using for a few months. I always thought that this was my normal, I had no clue that the prescription pain meds were causing this to happen to me.

Crystal Adkins

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#34 [url]

Apr 12 13 6:17 PM

It has a huge impact in my period as long as I take my dose no periods......I  myself like that...

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#35 [url]

Apr 12 13 6:52 PM

Hypogonadism

Gonadal deficiency
Hypogonadism is when the sex glands produce little or no hormones. In men, these glands (gonads) are the testes; in women, they are the ovaries.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

The cause of hypogonadism may be "primary" or "central." In primary hypogonadism, the ovaries or testes themselves do not function properly. Some causes of primary hypogonadism include:
  • Certain autoimmune disorders
  • Genetic and developmental disorders
  • Infection
  • Liver and kidney disease
  • Radiation
  • Surgery
The most common genetic disorders that cause primary hypogonadism are Turner syndrome (in women) and Klinefelter syndrome (in men).
In central hypogonadism, the centers in the brain that control the gonads (hypothalamus and pituitary) do not function properly. Some causes of central hypogonadism include:
  • Bleeding
  • Certain medications, including steroids and opiates
  • Genetic problems
  • Infections
  • Nutritional deficiencies
  • Iron excess(hemochromatosis)
  • Radiation
  • Rapid, significant weight loss
  • Surgery
  • Trauma
  • Tumors
A genetic cause of central hypogonadism that also takes away the sense of smell is Kallmann syndrome (males). The most common tumors affecting the pituitary are craniopharyngioma (in children) and prolactinoma (in adults).

Symptoms

Girls who have hypogonadism during childhood will not begin menstruating. The condition can affect girls' breast development and height. If hypogonadism occurs after puberty, symptoms include:
  • Hot flashes
  • Loss of body hair
  • Low libido
  • Menstruation stops
In boys, hypogonadism in childhood affects muscle and beard development and leads to growth problems. In men the usual symptoms are:
  • Breast enlargement
  • Decreased beard and body hair
  • Muscle loss
  • Sexual problems
If a brain tumor is present (central hypogonadism), there may be:
  • Headaches or vision loss
  • Milky breast discharge (from a prolactinoma)
  • Symptoms of other hormonal deficiencies (such as hypothyroidism)
People with anorexia nervosa (who diet to the point of starvation) and those who lose a lot of weight very quickly (such as after gastric bypass surgery) also may have central hypogonadism.

Signs and tests

Tests may be done that check:
Other tests may include:
Sometimes imaging tests are needed, such as a sonogram of the ovaries. If pituitary disease is suspected, an MRI or CT scan of the brain may be done.

Treatment

Hormone-based medicines are available for men and women. Estrogen comes in the form of a patch or pill. Testosterone can be given using a patch, a product soaked in by the gums, a gel, or by injection.
For women who have not had their uterus removed, combination treatment with estrogen and progesterone is often recommended to decrease the chances of developing endometrial cancer. Women with hypogonadism who have a low sex drive can also take low-dose testosterone.
In some women, injections or pills can be used to stimulate ovulation. Injections of pituitary hormone may be used to help male patients produce sperm. Other people may need surgery and radiation therapy.

Expectations (prognosis)

Many forms of hypogonadism are treatable and have a good outlook.

Complications

In women, hypogonadism may cause infertility. Menopause is a form of hypogonadism that occurs naturally and can cause hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and irritability as a woman's estrogen levels fall. The risk of osteoporosis and heart disease increase after menopause.
Some women with hypogonadism take estrogen therapy especially those who have early menopause (premature ovarian failure). However, there is a small but significant increase in risk for breast cancer and possibly heart disease when hormone therapy is used to treat menopause symptoms.
In men, hypogonadism results in loss of sex drive and may cause:
  • Impotence
  • Infertility
  • Osteoporosis
  • Weakness
Men normally have lower testosterone as they age, but the decline is not as dramatic or steep as the decline in sex hormones that women experience.

Calling your health care provider

Talk to your doctor if you notice:
  • Breast discharge
  • Breast enlargement (men)
  • Hot flashes (women)
  • Impotence
  • Loss of body hair
  • Loss of menstrual period
  • Problems getting pregnant
  • Problems with your sex drive
  • Weakness
Both men and women should call their health care provider if they have headaches or vision problems.

Prevention

Maintain normal body weight and healthy eating habits to prevent anorexia nervosa. Other causes may not be preventable.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#36 [url]

Apr 13 13 5:09 AM

I have actually been diagnosed with Opioid Induced Hypogonadism, so I can testify that for some women, methadone certainly does affect your menstrual cycle and fertility in a negative way.

The lack of periods would not at all bother me, what does bother me is that the OIHG is stopping me ovulating, and as I am trying to conceive, obviously this is a problem.

I am already tapering my dose, and do not want to go any faster than I already am, as I feel it just wouldn't be prudent. I don't want to end up either back on drugs, or on a higher dose of methadone.

I want to do this taper once only, and make sure I do it properly!

Before my OB/GYN will prescribe any oestrogen supplements or other hormone replacement therapy, he has ordered a load more blood work of things like Prolactin, female testosterone, and FSH and LH hormones.

So, if you are a woman on methadone who thinks she might want children/more children in the future, and methadone is stopping your periods, go and see your doctor about it.

The longer a hormone imbalance exists the more problems it can create fertility wise, so the quicker it is diagnosed and treated, the more likely you are to recovery your fertility!

Quote    Reply   

anna

#37 [url]

May 14 15 5:06 AM

hi i started taking methadone two months ago for opiate use and straight away my periods stopped,i am on 40mls but started on 20 and my period literly stopped straight away. i asked my docter about this and he wasnt sure but said he would find out. i feel bloated all the time and have put on a stone in weight. has anyone any advice on this?

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#38 [url]

May 19 15 3:40 AM

Anna, the absence of your periods could be from the weight gain, as that can have an affect on your cycle. If your periods have not returned in a few months, I would get your PCP Dr to run a full hormone profile blood work on you, and that will tell you if your hormones are getting affected by methadone.

More than likely, it's just your body adjusting to the weight gain and the starting MMT and they will return soon. Just because you're not having periods, doesn't mean you're not ovulating, so you still could possibly get pregnant, so you still need to use birth control if you don't want to get pregnant.

Quote    Reply   

ashleydinyes

#39 [url]

Feb 17 17 2:02 PM

Swollen feet

If you were an opiate addict in your feet are now swelling it could have something to do with your heart. I am 24 and have already had to have open heart surgery due to my opiate addiction even after being clean for over a year.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help