Remove this ad

jessika 47721

Lead

Mar 4 12 2:39 PM

Tags : :

i thought I was the only one that had this issue. I googled it and found out that this has happened to a bunch of girls. I started The M.M.T about 9 months ago and have had one menstrual cycle since then. a very light one at that. I am one to have very very heavy periods. That last a week usually. I think that is so very weird that methadone can just completely stop periods. If anyone here has had this problem or know someone taking methadone that has had this happen let me know. I stay so swollen all the time. sometimes when I wake up in the mornings i can't even walk on my feet they hurt so bad because they are so swollen. my stomache is ohh so bloated. It sucks very bad. i wish there was something i could do. Docters can't even tell me anything or give me anything to bring on the period. i have takin a pill thats used to bring on periods and it didn't even work, so my doc doesn't know what else to do. He gave me all kinds of blood tests. They all came back fine. So i'm just screwed.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

mac

#1 [url]

Mar 4 12 4:00 PM

I know that methadone will dysrupt your menstral cycle. So will other opioids too BTW. It didn't do that to me though. That is why they always recommend that women who get on opiates who do have dysrupted or stopped cycles should remain on birthcontrol cause you can still get pregnant.  I did know a girl who had the same problem as you talk about without the swollen feet and she ended up getting a D&C (outpatient procedure) and then going on low grade birth control to regulate her cycle better.  The swollen feet thing is something all together different. Have you tried a diaretic for that?  Do you have slow circulation of the blood in your legs and arms at all?

Quote    Reply   

mythoughts2

#2 [url]

Mar 4 12 4:58 PM

I know that MANY women have issues with opiates. When I used heroin, I didn't bleed for 7yrs at all. when I got on MMT, my period started the first month. It can stop your period or start it, depending on what your DOC was, dosage, etc...

Do you take the cherry methadone? Many people complain of swollen extremeties on that formulation.

Quote    Reply   

momo

#3 [url]

Mar 4 12 6:03 PM

I've heard of girls having issues with their period while on MMT. I didn't have my periods when I was using but it always came back after a few months when I've been in rehab or on MMT. I think for me it had to do with my weight. I just weighed about 90 pounds when I was using.
Unless you're trying to get pregnant I wouldn't worry too much about it. Who wants to have a period anyway? There is no medical reason to have one. So just enjoy it.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#4 [url]

Mar 5 12 5:25 AM

Opiate/oid use can cause ammenhorya in women, which is lack of a monthly 'bleed' but ovulation does mostly still occur, so if ladies are not having periods, if doesn't mean they're not ovulating, hence they still could become pregnant.

Obviously if someone were actively 'trying' for a baby, lack of periods should be discussed with a doctor, as could be a sign of PCOS or other.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#5 [url]

Mar 5 12 5:27 AM

Re the swelling of extremeties - I had really bad swelling of the ankles and feet, and since starting to take a potassium supplement every day it has gone. I had previously tried various meds like Lasix from my GP, but the potassium seems to work best, don't know why?

If you did want a regular cycle, could you try a contraceptive pill, which should give you a regular blled each month?

If not that, then a progesterone supplement on days 16-21 of your cycle should induce a bleed. 

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#6 [url]

Mar 5 12 3:54 PM

Do you take the cherry methadone? Many people complain of swollen extremeties on that formulation.

-mythoughts2

I switched and the swelling in my hands stopped.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

allison93

#7 [url]

Mar 5 12 9:25 PM

My period has completly stopped since on methadone. When I was on opiates I also had irregular periods but I still had it from time to time. But since on methadone I havent had it at all.  Not having my period was one of the FEW perks of being an addict for me so im glad that I have no longer have it.  I know it might not be healthy to not have it but for me my periods were so heavy and i had such bad PMS the stress of not having it anymore is amazing.

"There is a way to be good again." Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

Quote    Reply   

momo

#8 [url]

Mar 5 12 10:07 PM

Actually, Allison, it's really not harmful to not have your period in itself. Women are really meant to be having babies and be breast feeding all the time so it's actually abnormal to have monthly periods all the time.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#9 [url]

Mar 6 12 2:42 AM

I am in menopause but I did see methadone affect my periods etc...I have been so lucky all my life my periods were at most 3 days but usually a day and a half and very light maybe it was because of my drug use but my sister has had the opposite story all her life.  I never really experienced PMS or cramps either.  NOW WATCH ME HAVE SOME HORRIBLE CYCLE SOON for bragging. Lol.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#10 [url]

Mar 6 12 7:12 AM

Momo - current thinking is that lack of monthly menstration (not associated with child birth or breast feeding) can add to the risk of endometrial cancer.

OB/GYN's are starting to encourage women with PCOS who go for ages without a bleed, to take a progesterone supplement to induce a bleed to reduce risk.

Not sure if there is an actual risk, you know as well as I do that these things seem to change every time the wind blows!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

mac

#11 [url]

Mar 6 12 3:24 PM

I thought it was a natural and healthy occurance for your uterus to shed on a regular basis untill you get older and your hormones naturally stop the process.  I also thought that if you were having a regualr period and then stopped due to an outside force such as medication use that you should go in and do that big progestorone shot they give you to start the bleed.  Like I said, my gf had that same problem and they did a D&C and then put her on hormones via a birthcontrol pill and it seemed to clear it up.

Quote    Reply   

ptrsnake13

#12 [url]

Mar 6 12 3:44 PM

Even though I'm a guy, I was always concerned with those pills that allowed you only 4 periods a year. I just figured that if your body was suppossed to do that, it would've. Women menstruate for a reason and stopping that natural flow on purpous always concerned me.

Quote    Reply   

momo

#15 [url]

Mar 6 12 9:16 PM

I don't believe that there is any harm with not having your period while on birth control. I may be wrong but I think what Sapphire is talking about is not having your period for other reasons. When you're on hormonal birthcontrol your body thinks you're pregnant and as a result don't ovulate. The bleed you get when on the pill is not really a period since you didn't ovulate, it's just a bleed. So stopping it from happening by not taking a break from the pill for a week shouldn't cause any harm. When you're on other hormonal birthcontrol, like Depo Provera, some people will not have a period at all for long periods of time.
I don't know. Maybe the experts have now concluded that the old experts were wrong and maybe they're right. I try to take the experts with a grain of salt though. They change their minds all the time and what was good for you last week can kill you this week.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#16 [url]

Mar 7 12 5:52 AM

Momo - yes, I was meaning when not on birth control. As when on the pill or similar, even though you don't have a period you would still have a monthly bleed.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#17 [url]

Mar 7 12 6:12 AM

I thought it was a natural and healthy occurance for your uterus to shed on a regular basis untill you get older and your hormones naturally stop the process.  I also thought that if you were having a regualr period and then stopped due to an outside force such as medication use that you should go in and do that big progestorone shot they give you to start the bleed.  Like I said, my gf had that same problem and they did a D&C and then put her on hormones via a birthcontrol pill and it seemed to clear it up.

-mac

It is I think mac. I know here in the UK, if women not on the pill or implant do not have a regular period or bleed, they are given a progesterone supplement to take on days 16-21 of their cycle, to induce a bleed, as people in the OB/GYN field are now thinking there may be a link between a lack of a monthly period/bleed and endometrial cancer.

If you're not on the pill, or breastfeeding, and you're not having periods, it should really be investigated by your GP, as it may be something that could affect your ability to have children (if you don't already ahve them, and want to at some point if you see what I mean!).

The most common reason (I think) of women not having a period, is PCOS, which can negatively affect fertility.

PCOS can be diagnosed by a blood test and ultra sound of the ovaries, and is quite common, well here it is anyway!

Quote    Reply   

mac

#18 [url]

Mar 7 12 6:44 AM

It is I think mac. I know here in the UK, if women not on the pill or implant do not have a regular period or bleed, they are given a progesterone supplement to take on days 16-21 of their cycle, to induce a bleed, as people in the OB/GYN field are now thinking there may be a link between a lack of a monthly period/bleed and endometrial cancer.If you're not on the pill, or breastfeeding, and you're not having periods, it should really be investigated by your GP, as it may be something that could affect your ability to have children (if you don't already ahve them, and want to at some point if you see what I mean!).
The most common reason (I think) of women not having a period, is PCOS, which can negatively affect fertility.
PCOS can be diagnosed by a blood test and ultra sound of the ovaries, and is quite common, well here it is anyway!

-sapphire76

I would also agree with the idea that dysruption of the monthly shedding of the uterus could effect someones ability to get the egg to attach to the uterine wall and could make it harder to conceive or carry a child. NOT that that would be something that might effect everyone but it  could surely be a concern.
I can say that if I wasn't on birthcontrol and my monthly was out of wack I would get over to the doctors too.  I don't really like the ideal of taking hormone replacement therapy but I do know that if that was what I needed to do I would do it.  I'm currently premenopausal but I'm going to just try to keep riding it out naturally.  I had to go out a purchase a set of natural fiber bamboo sheets cause my nights sweats get kinda rough from time to time and the bamboo sheets absorb the sweat good and dry pretty quick.  It's something that also helped alot with the sweats from withdrawl.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help