Remove this ad

oldnwise

#21 [url]

May 8 10 10:53 AM

Yes I heard that from my SIL , about soy (not being able to consume it) on the thyroid med.
--Good looking out, Marot!

"When I was 40, I used to wonder what people thought of me. Now, I wonder what I think of them." ~Brooke Astor~

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

oldnwise

#22 [url]

May 8 10 10:59 AM

Oh--I just now noticed the post above mine; I"m getting used to this site little by little..yes it is very uncomfortable..ugh.
I don't recall (and we are on a new page now) if this was brought up yet...constipation!
I know so many people on methadone already suffer from that, but I didn't , until menopause set in.

Now, I finally understand why people complain about being constipated...OMG. I have come up with my own little way of helping that, if it's not TMI.....I take 3 stool softeners, plus one 250mg Magnesium pill at bedtime.
I'll put it this way: no more constipation.. though maybe the opposite problem LOL; which BTW I used to complain about , but after experiencing the big C, I now prefer the other.

TMI .....it is just not fair sometimes , what we ladies go through. 

"When I was 40, I used to wonder what people thought of me. Now, I wonder what I think of them." ~Brooke Astor~

Quote    Reply   

slickmick

#23 [url]

May 9 10 12:18 AM

Obviously I am not a lady or Woman LOL.  But I wanted to chime in on the constipation thing.  One word: Miralax, it works wonders for me, is kinda expensive but well worth it and every store hase there own generic version of it (works just as well) and is cheaper than the namebrand.  I have had zero side effects from Miralax, which is great because most of the other laxatives like Milk of Magnesia gave me cramps and tasted terrible, stool softeners never seemed to work for me at all.  So Miralax has been my salvation for Regularity and comfort.  One Love,           -Mick

Methadone Saves Lives!!! R.I.P. Andre Hicks

Quote    Reply   

oldnwise

#24 [url]

May 9 10 9:05 AM

thank you , Mick. I know Zenith has recommended that to others before, also.
So no side effects, huh?  Well I didn't know if it did, that plus the price, had me not get it so far.
So I for one, appreciate you chiming in. And no bad taste, either? 
Sign me up then. (i know, I have seen like you said, the store brands)

Quote    Reply   

slickmick

#25 [url]

May 9 10 2:16 PM

There is no taste at all you just pour it into water, juice or your favorite drink and then stir for about 30 seconds and it completely dissolves (I always use water and after I am done stirring, it looks just like regular water and tastless.  It used to be only available through a prescription, but luckily they made it over the counter.  Please give it a try oldnwise, I'm pretty sure you wont be dissapointed.  It took 2 days of taking it before I had my first "Regular Stool", ahh it was heaven LOL!  -Mick

Methadone Saves Lives!!! R.I.P. Andre Hicks

Quote    Reply   

ltomczak

#26 [url]

May 10 10 8:31 AM

I have heard from both patients and Doctors alike that Miralax is the recommended solution for medication induced constipation. I'm not sure why but it has something to do with the way it actually handles the constipation.

There are actually a lot of meds out there that can cause constipation and I know from first hand experience how troublesome constipation can be!

When I was off of methadone for a short period of time (attempting to make the switch to sub) I was AMAZED at the frequency at which I was able to go. It was a nice reminder of how I should be normally, because I was starting to think that this is always how I was!

Another thing that helps to a degree it drinking plenty of water and eating your fruits and veggies. Also, making sure you get enough fiber in your diet is important as well.

lindsaytomcat@yahoo.com For those in and around the Chicago area - feel free to contact me if you need help with your treatment.

Quote    Reply   

lapy

#27 [url]

May 10 10 8:57 AM

I wanted to mention something else about HRT. Estrogen does keep women from aging as fast which is one of the reasons movie stars are usually the ones in the commercials advocating it. I had a hysterectomy due to large fibroid tumors. They feed (grow) on estrogen. I had 3 months of Lupron shots. It is a drug that they use for men with testicular cancer. An antineoplastic. It leaches out all of your estrogen very quickly which stops the "food" to the fibroids so the vessels that feed the fibroids dry up and surgery is safer with less blood loss. So, in essence I went through a 3 month forced menopause with 10-20 hot flashes a day! My husband used to tell me to just cover up with a blanket and sweat it out like a fever (yeah, right). After my hysterectomy I was on HRT for a few yrs until my clinic doc recommended me to stop it. So, once again a forced menopause! I have to admit that since stopping the HRT my skin has gotten thinner on my hands and I'm starting to get those brown spots on my arms from age, or sun, IDK, "BUT", another thing I've noticed is that my mood is more even keeled now. I'm not as emotional. I have a few friends my age (56) who have gone through menopause naturally and we all agree that we have less highs and lows now. We kid around saying that since we have no more estrogen we are becomming men. We're just waiting for the beards to start growing:).lol

Marot

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

oldnwise

#28 [url]

May 10 10 10:10 AM

Questions for Marot ; I'm curious about several things I've read in regards to women, heart disease, and estrogen as well as iron.
Did you have your heart related problems, after the hyst, and if so what was the time frame, btw the two?

I'm asking since they have always said the reason women don't have as much cardiac disease as men, up until menopause, when we then catch up to our male counterparts...is b/c of the protective estrogen.

Also, years ago, I read about an intriguing study that did sound convincing to me, though I have rarely heard about it since then, that the build up of iron stores in the body , add to Cardiac disease risk factors, and since the only way to purge the body of excess iron, is by bleeding.
Which equals periods in women lessens that iron storage.
(I remember thinking back to the 60's or 70's, and all those Geritol commercials and wonder how much harm was caused to the livers & hearts of Americans , taking all that Geritol.
I myself tried it but luckily i inherited an inability to take iron.
Also, how long have you been off the HRT, Marot? How long does, or did the hot flashes last for you, after stopping it?

Your hubby's idea of sweating it out is the most misconstrued thing I've ever heard, bless his heart though , i know he meant well. :)
And uh, this is surely TMI but I don't have to wait for the beard....and am quite friggin depressed about it too.

Quote    Reply   

boviewid55

#29 [url]

May 11 10 5:00 AM

It is QUITE depressing to get old, with all that brings. I stopped the HRT almost a year ago, and the hot flashes are finally slowing down to maybe 3 a day instead of 20. But my neck looks like a turkey waddle! I hate it. I did not expect to be "old" at the age of 55. I also did not expect to be on methadone in my old age. What fun!!

Quote    Reply   

lapy

#30 [url]

May 11 10 8:55 AM

I stopped HRT right after I got on MMT so I guess that was around 7 yrs ago. I had my hysterectomy about 4 yrs before that. I was using my MMT doc as my primary physician. He had an office near my home, I liked him, and I didn't want to lie about being on Methadone. He urged me to stop the HRT for around 3 mos before I finally did. Yes, the hot flashes were terrible, so was the irritability and moodiness. I'm glad I'm more mellowed out now. My cardiac problem will just be 2 yrs this June O&W. I was tapering down from 180 and got to 70mgs but was feeling pretty sick at that dose. Sometimes I wonder if the tapering caused the Torsades more than a high dose. I remember reading that the cardioprotection from estrogen was proved to be a fallicy. That's when a bunch of women got off it. Could be that they switched back to thinking it is cardioprotective again. You know how that goes.

Marot

Quote    Reply   

smjatz

#31 [url]

May 13 10 8:47 AM

I am 37 and had a hysterectomy a few years back.  I was put on HRT immediately.  It made me pretty aggressive.  I started cutting the pills and taking half the prescribed dose daily.  It worked for me.  I stopped taking HRT when I couldn't afford it due to my addiction.  The hot flashes were unbearable.  I finally went to the methadone clinic and got clean.  I put 65lbs. on!  I was so uncomfortable and embarassed by my weight gain.  I went to the gyne and he put me back on HRT.  I lost 25 lbs recently, but don't know if all the credit can go to the hormones because I have been exercising and watching what I eat.  I do feel really good, have energy, etc...I hope to lose at least 25-30 more pounds, but know it's gonna take a lot of hard work.  I wish I could say HRT was the cause of my weight loss, but I think it was the combo of things and our bodies react to everything so differently.

About the sneezing...it made me laugh because a little while ago, I was driving and started sneezing- like 10 sneezes in a row- and I thought Oh My God! I'm in withdrawals!-  Then I realized how ridiculous I was being.  I sneezed. Period.  It's just weird how we tend to over analyze every little thing our bodies do.  I had no reason to even think I was in any type of w/d's.  I'm on a stable dose, I dose daily, etc...  It was just a memory of being in w/d's and for me, the first sign was ALWAYS sneezing.  Then the watery eyes and I always had a weird noise I would hear when I turned my head.  Anyone else ever have that?  I think it was my own unique symptom?!?  Weird.

Quote    Reply   

phil

#32 [url]

Mar 15 16 2:33 PM

injectable constipation meds

Watch out for some of these and also linzess. Some can empty all receptors and put you in imediate withdrawel

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#33 [url]

Jun 25 16 7:24 AM

Most of these new meds for opiod induced constipation do not cross the blood/brain barrier, so they won''t put you in WD.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help