Remove this ad

ltomczak

Lead

Feb 22 10 10:11 AM

Tags : :

Senate OKs amendment to ban methadone clinics in DeKalb
Friday, June 08, 2007Times Montgomery BureauHuntsville Times
MONTGOMERY - The Alabama Senate gave final approval Thursday to a proposed constitutional amendment that would ban the methadone clinics in DeKalb County without voter approval.

The Senate approved the proposed constitutional amendment on a 65-0 vote.

The state Health Planning and Development Agency has issued a certificate of need for a clinic, but it has been strongly opposed by county residents, said Sen. Lowell Barron, D-Fyffe.

Advertisement

"People feel very strongly against it, and we should let the people decide," he said. "There's not been any support for it."

Barron said there was an initial attempt to locate the clinic in Fort Payne and then in Rainsville, but it's never been built.

lindsaytomcat@yahoo.com For those in and around the Chicago area - feel free to contact me if you need help with your treatment.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

baodai

#1 [url]

Apr 18 10 12:00 AM

I'm not positive, but I don't believe a state's constitution can violate a Federal Law-- I am sure it can't be contrary to the 14th Amendment...

But then that's Bama for ya.

The really sad thing is that no one will ever challange this stupidity.

Quote    Reply   

george

#2 [url]

Apr 18 10 6:54 AM

Wow... It is a terrible shame for those that need methadone taper and maintanance. I wonder how far it is to reach the nearest clinic. 

A methadone Patient Advocate for many years. I have never been addicted to opiates and I do not give medical advice.

Quote    Reply   

ljs911

#3 [url]

Jul 22 10 4:23 PM

It amazing how backwards and uninformed the leaders we vote into office are. I hope that the Doctors in DeKalb take action to bring their legislator into the 21st century.

Quote    Reply   

amybeets05

#4 [url]

Feb 12 11 1:22 PM

it is terrible how little support methadone clinics get here in Mississippi and Alabama. We have ONE clinic is Mississippi, where I live. I drive 2 HOURS to my clinic and 2 HOURS back. I have been doing so for almost 2 years now. Thankfully, I only attend twice a month now, which is the highest "phase" that Mississippi law allows. However, this time last year, I was driving 4-5 days a week. Oxycontin, Morphine, and general opiate use is rampant here, but treatment is few and far between. Reading things like this are very disheartening. 

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#7 [url]

Apr 28 13 10:56 PM

@amybeets05 - You certainly have a STRONG case to file a lawsuit against the State of Mississippi in federal court under the ADA... I strongly encourage you to look into it. It's sad that there is only ONE clinic in Mississippi in the capital city of Jackson. There are many clinics in bordering states (Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama) that are strategically placed just across the Mississippi border, so often times other states are treating the patients that the state of Mississippi neglects. It's REALLY sad when you have to travel out-of-state to TENNESSEE to receive MMT!!! Now THAT'S cray cray!!! 

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#8 [url]

Apr 29 13 3:38 AM

No disrespect but traveling to Tennessee for treatment???  I think I might just drive on through thank you....

In saying all that though lol...it doesn't have to be that way nor does it always have to stay that way...With advocacy, lobbying and patient participation things can change...I feel Zac will be a pioneer in making changes for MMT in the State...And I sure the heck and going to help where I can.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#9 [url]

Apr 29 13 3:47 AM

We are CERTAINLY going to do EVERYTHING we can, @wayover... The TN chapter's only been here since March 1st (THIS year!!), so we're still VERY new. Advocacy in TN was virtually non-existent prior to NAMA's TN chapter getting up and running... And you wouldn't BELIEVE the headway we've already made (and are making) in the short amount of time. And we're gonna keep on trucking! There's a LOT of encouraging things going on behind the scenes I can't talk about publicly just yet... But PLEASE rest assured we're moving mountains where we can!!! 

Thanks for the support. We need it; We're fighting!!! 

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#11 [url]

Sep 28 13 6:20 AM

Since this was in 2010 I wonder if this ever changed?  I am unsure where dekalb county is but Montgomery has clinics....Although Eman and I live in Alabama we do not use Alabama clinics but I know we at the present have several Alabamians so can anyone speak out if this is different in 2013???...

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#13 [url]

Oct 11 13 3:50 AM

From what I can gather, they didn't manage to "outlaw" methadone clinics in DeKalb county, but they did make ot near impossible for the clinic to get anywhere to operate, and as a result, I think the clinic gave up.

Does anyone have any more up to date info?

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#14 [url]

Oct 11 13 12:06 PM

Re: Senate OKs amendment to ban methadone clinics in DeKalb

They just banned them in Walker County GA too... But that's where MY clinic is! LOL. This crap is nothing new unfortunately. These bans are illegal... Just depends on if the folks proposing the clinics will fight it or not.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Yuku app

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help