Remove this ad

zenith

Lead

Feb 21 10 4:23 PM

Tags : :

The simple answer is no--methadone does not have any special properties that allow it to sink into your bones or rot your teeth. This is mostly an old street myth--however, like all rumors it has a grain of truth in that ALL opiate drugs, including methadone, can cause "dry mouth".  Some have  more of a problem than others with this, and after you get used to the medication it will probably improve. Dry mouth, however, is a condition that is favorable to bacteria development, and bacteria CAN cause tooth decay. 

The solution to this is to STAY HYDRATED--drink plenty of water, use sugarless candies, etc. Also, regular trips to the dentist and good oral hygiene are important. There is a line of products called Biotene

http://www.biotene.com/Default.aspx

made especially for those who take meds that cause dry mouth, and you can get them at Wal-Mart or anywhere else they sell regular dental products. However, there is nothing in methadone ITSELF that rots your teeth. 

Many folks neglect their health badly while using. Then when they get into treatment and start taking care of themselves again, they may go to the dentist and find a mouth full of decay, and they blame the methadone instead of the years of neglect. Sometimes even dentists have heard this myth and will tell the patient that the decay is due to methadone but this is NOT true. 

As for the "gets in your bones" myth.........often times this is due to the patient being on too LOW of a dose. When we are underdosed, our bodies go into "mini" withdrawals every evening as the medication wears off.  When this occurs our muscles release lactic acid. If this occurs each evening there is a buildup of lactic acid in our muscles, which CAN cause bone and joint pain, muscle aches, etc. Often a dose increase will correct the problem.  However, it can also be due to other medical conditions common to addicts, such as HIV, Hep C, etc or simply to the aging process. People tend to blame everything on methadone, when in fact the side effects of the drug are relatively few and generally mild. Methadone does NOT "get in your bones" however. 

Question Authority!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

LeforaGuest

#1 [url]

Mar 12 10 6:38 AM

In terms of science i don't know the answer,,,But i can say this from my experience i brush my teeth 2 or Times a day and they are not that bad but i do feel you have to be consistent when ya have a Coffey weather it be 2 or 10 always rinse with water my dentist tells me, i go and get them cleaned 2 times a year sometimes i cant even afford it but i find a way. i know another billy hes a one heck of a great guy but man he never ever find OR MAKE THE TIME TO BRUSH,,,,LONG STORY SHORT HE HAD SOME NASTY PAIN FROM HIS VERY BAD TEETH.

But he had no cash so i toke him to social services its called ODSP  they agreed to help long story short it toke 9 visits and 7 grand all covers and the dentist said you have to brush you don't work make 5 or 10 Min's a time . that same day i was their asked does methadone do damage to our bones he said nonsense thats just a cope out i have about 6% of my clients who are on the programs some of them have the best teeth i have ever seen some weel lets say this it is not pretty but know this they go days with out a brush.

he showed us a pic of a client on methadone for 11 years he said he knew it will come in handy the girl had most like what he calls movie star teeth. very very nice but she brushes 3 times a day like clock work. I went on to ask about pain in my spine does the methadone have just even a little to do with it he said know but if folks go days without out the rt type of nutrients oe vitamins of course after time not just your bones but many human body parts start to wear down.

To sum up he said a very very good simple solution will be to take a vitamin c and also a d every single day very cheap it is the simplest way to prevent problems and it works 1 or 2 little pills a day and we will be like everyone else what does in our bones he said my son is called the clock that ticks within us all.

I hope this helps because i use to worry about this a lot to anyways this is just one mans view so thats all i can add i sincerely hope it helps.

Respect always Shamey.................      

Quote    Reply   

LeforaGuest

#2 [url]

Mar 14 10 5:50 AM

Sorry folks think i really need a new keyboard......... well at least i got 2 years out of this one. but now the keys stick and i get the kind of post above again sorry about all the mistakes,  

Quote    Reply   

tamara

#3 [url]

Apr 3 10 4:54 PM

Since this is my first post, I absoloutely hate, just hate being a negative nelly, so I'm not trying to be,deal??!!
I've been on methadone for almost 13 years, but I was off of it for one year.  I'm back and thrilled with my choice to be back on it.  It is saving my life,more importantly, it's saving the lives and sanity of my family.

Anyhoo, what I've heard over the years is that it's the lack of saliva that allows for tooth decay.  Obviously,I was told that methadone causes a lack of sailva. 
Who told me this?
 A well known methadone doctor.

Do I believe it?
 Who knows...it either hurts your teeth or it doesn't.  Only those who experience it know for certain.

I hope to help a lot of people and I really hope that I'll be accepted and that I can gain knowledge and have kindness from all of you.

All the best to each and every one of you,

Tamara  heart

Quote    Reply   

ltomczak

#4 [url]

Apr 16 10 8:39 AM

Tamara,

Welcome to the board! I do hope you continue to come by and post.

Most likely the Doctor was referring to the dry mouth that opiates cause as the "lack of saliva." As Zenith mentioned in her original post dry mouth is a common side effect for many medications; including opiates and many antidepressants.

Dry Mouth can cause dental decay and the easiest way to prevent this is to drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol based dental products. (Especially at night) There is a specific brand out there (Biotene) that Zenith mentioned that is geared towards people that have dry mouth.

However, this is an indirect explanation for the myth that Methadone "rots your bones" or 'destroys your teeth." This has been a myth perpetuated by clinicians, Doctors, patients, and nurses alike that has absolutely no foundation.

You would be surprised how many Doctors and Nurses are misinformed themselves. We truly have to be our own advocates when on this medication.

lindsaytomcat@yahoo.com For those in and around the Chicago area - feel free to contact me if you need help with your treatment.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#5 [url]

Jul 16 11 6:05 AM

I bit into an egg roll last week and my fronth  tooth broke off all the way to the gum line.  No cavity etc...  My back teeth are cumbling to pieces I actually had a piece of a back tooth in between my thumb and finger and I crumbled it it pulverized right there in my hand.  Not sure if it is methadone or dry mouth etc...  Indirectly or directly it does affect your teeth.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

chrissandeman

#7 [url]

Jul 24 11 10:39 PM

Yes methadone is a killer on your gums and teeth but you can try sugar free methadone but beaware i might not work aswell as the sweet stuff....such as life eh.

Quote    Reply   

mas215

#8 [url]

Jul 25 11 5:12 AM

Many prescription and non-prescription drugs reduce the amount of saliva and contribute to tooth decay.  Methadone isn't any worse than others.  I take the diskets which have no sugar.  Let's face it, while taking drugs, few people maintained dental health.  Money went to drugs not dentists, not even food.  So when we stabilize, the years of neglect result in bad teeth and gums.  Same with food, we tend to gain weight after stabilizing, it's not directly from methadone but our lifestyle in general. 

There are enough methadone myths out there so many are believed to be true when they're absolute nonsense.  Google 'methadone myths', some interesting reading. 

Quote    Reply   

tweety2unes

#9 [url]

Aug 1 11 4:49 PM

It's MO,like Z say's dry mouth ,however it's a combination in my opioin of lack of dentist visits regular check ups and cleaning that also adds to the teeth issues it's so easy to play the blame game weather it be weight gain,tooth decay,ect ect...

I can say from experience from being on methaone for 15 yrs and hearing this issue time and time again it's bogus,Iv'e been off methadone for about 5 to 6 yrs and my teeth and weight issues remain as they did while on methadone, try to keep your mouth moist drink plenty of water as well as chew sugar free gum it keeps the saliva going.

This is my experience but it remains a fact that methadone had nothing to do with weight gain nor rotten teeth away. just as one goes to a doctor if your not feeling well or a regular check up go to your dentist too.
 This does makes perfect sense.

Quote    Reply   

kth

#10 [url]

Aug 2 11 3:14 AM

Yea, I tend to agree with the taking methadone regulary does not does not replace good dental hygene, and check ups, nor does it excuse a MMT patient from eating a healthy balanced diet along with getting the right amount of excersise. However, Research has shown that taking high doses of methadone can affect the bodys Endocrine system. This is where all your glands , and the harmones they produce come out of.If these levels are impaired it can have a direct effect on your metabolisim. Low levels of the Harmone Testosterone in many men on mdone Indicate a Endocrine Link.  I speak from my own exp., from one who use to have a very high sex drive both times I have gone into MMT  It just went to Zip. Also each time I went into Treatment, The first time I gained over 80 pounds, and this time about 70, and I can remember the first time I went off methadone, I Sware I recall The weight just falling off., I lost those 80 pounds in about 3 months, and I really wasn't doing anything different except not taking my methadone LOL, ...Go Figure. I'm not saying that my Exp. applys to everybody, ..................Kth

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

hydroherbert

#11 [url]

Aug 20 11 11:27 AM

The worst one for your teeth is methadone linctus which is 2mg / 5ml..a mate of mine was given it by his doctor he was on 120ml a day. At the chemist when  collecting the pharmacist asked him why he had been prescribed the linctus..he replied drug dependency..the pharmacist told him that he should be on mixture not linctus, linctus isnt licensed for opiod dependancy BUT it can be given when the patient is down to 10ml of 1mg/1ml to lessen the withdrawl effects.. He gave him his script, but said he must ask his GP to change it in the future or he would have no teeth left by the end of the year as the linctus has huge amounts of sugars in it..around 3 - 4 times the amount of sugars than methadone mixture..
Its normally a yellow/orange colour.
BTW his GP wouldn't give him the mixture and said he wasn't going to maintain him on methadone, and would only offer a weekly reduction..I felt so bad for him, he didn't even get time to find a stable dose before reducing.."This is what your getting, this is how much you reduce each week..if you dont like it, then dont have it"  The doctor did however give him 10x30mg Dihydrocodeine a day to  come off the methadone..(something that its not licensed for).
  If you are on methadone ask for sugar free, some Dr's wont prescribe it becasue some users will use it I.V... that was quite common where i am from about 10 years ago..but it was mainly a small group that would do that.
If your from the UK and on high doses ask for the blue or red/brown methadone..its a lot stronger so saves you drinking huge amounts of liquid and it aslo has much less sugars in it.
Blue = 5mg / 1ml
Red = 10mg / 1ml

Quote    Reply   

methabenzocet

#12 [url]

Aug 21 11 11:29 PM

ur joking right? u do know that its all mental...sugar free , cherrry, methadose, methadone, wafters or liquid , im sorry its all the same... ive been on it all and found no difference in any of them except half life..only difference is the 10 and 5mg pills those r not a suspension  those r 2 be taken every 4 -8 hours. thats it tho, in the last 3 years ive been on cherry , pure oral concentrate , now im on the disks...due to stomach issues the disks r easyer on my stomach ..but strenth wise its all the same.

~Kiki

Quote    Reply   

methabenzocet

#13 [url]

Aug 21 11 11:31 PM

ur joking right? u do know that its all mental...sugar free , cherrry, methadose, methadone, wafters or liquid , im sorry its all the same... ive been on it all and found no difference in any of them except half life..only difference is the 10 and 5mg pills those r not a suspension  those r 2 be taken every 4 -8 hours. thats it tho, in the last 3 years ive been on cherry , pure oral concentrate , now im on the disks...due to stomach issues the disks r easyer on my stomach ..but strenth wise its all the same.

~Kiki

Quote    Reply   

tweety2unes

#14 [url]

Aug 22 11 12:15 PM

Hi ,Just wondering what your opinon is about what the intial question ,which basically is ,Does Methadone rot your teeth n bones?

Not about which Methadone type(sorta speak)is the better, cuz it effects everyone different ya know?
example...Bobby Joe likes the wafer's they work best for him ,and Peggy Sue likes the liquid they are what works best for her...IMHO it's all  indiviual prefernces,its not the same for everyone.

I'm just glad there is different options that people can choose from that suits their needs.

Bottom Line Is ,Whatever Works Right?

Quote    Reply   

ptrsnake13

#15 [url]

Aug 22 11 1:20 PM

No. Basically most of us don't have good hygiene when we're running around to cop. That's what rots the teeth, not methadone. It's been proven over and over that it also doesn't effect our bones. People ache when they feel withdrawel coming on but it's the muscles that hurt not the bones. At 60 I'm still strong and straight backed as when I was 20. And my teeth are perfect. I'm on my 3rd set lol. On methadone preferance, IMO all of it is the same except the orange which we stopped getting about 18 years ago. 100 mgs was the highest dose then and you didn't need more. I was on 80 and with the liquid cherry I'm on 160. It also blocked heroin perfectly.
Pete

Quote    Reply   

the elephantman

#16 [url]

Nov 5 11 2:49 PM

Its NOT NOT NOT the same!!!! LOL. I will go to my grave swearing its not the same!! Either that or, my clinic is ripping us off with the liquid their giving us!! I can take 10 of those coffin/rectangle shaped 10mg methadone tablets and clean my house, ur house and everybody's house on this whole entire forum!! LOL. It takes about 120 to 130mg's of this cherry liquid too hold me and all it makes me wanna do is be lazy an sleep. And the liquid does NOT last all day like the 10mg tablets do!! I do NOT feel the same with this liquid as i do with those 10mg tablets, plain and simple!!

Now somethin very very extremely weird happened yesterday with my dose!! My dose yesterday was the best dose i believe i've EVER got from my clinic, which leaves some serious questions in my head about my clinic. I actually felt like i took real methadone yesterday when i dosed. I say "real methadone" because the liquid we get at my clinic is so damn shitty, i would actually say its not even real methadone because it just doesnt produce the typical effects one would get from methadone. EVERYBODY at my clinic all agrees to that statement as well!! I just dont get it!! Yesterday i was itchin all over like i did in the first 30 days when i was increasing every day and had that good warm feelin all over my entire body!! Im not gonna lie, it was quite good!! But honestly, it just felt the way methadone is supposed too feel!! I didnt change my routine not one bit yesterday so it wasnt anything i did that made it different. And i felt complete relief the ENTIRE day!!

Anybody wanna give any ideas as to what might have made this happen? I ASSURE you, it is NOT in my head!! I know what i felt like yesterday and i havent felt like that in a long time!! Its not that i had a buzz or anything. I just felt like i actually took methadone!! And i didnt take ANY extra methadone yesterday!! Strictly my one single mornin dose!!

People have asked the nurses at the window about this and all the nurses ever say is, they get the liquid from 2 different companies. Just as great as my dose was yesterday, their are days when my dose is so weak, i actually never feel like i dosed and feel quite sick!! This just isnt right!!

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#17 [url]

Nov 5 11 3:22 PM

To sum up he said a very very good simple solution will be to take a vitamin c and also a d every single day very cheap it is the simplest way to prevent problems and it works 1 or 2 little pills a day and we will be like everyone else what does in our bones he said my son is called the clock that ticks within us all.
I hope this helps because i use to worry about this a lot to anyways this is just one mans view so thats all i can add i sincerely hope it helps.
Respect always Shamey.................      

-anonymous917780

I am putting a copy paste regarding Vitamin C interaction with Methadone.  It decreases the effects for individuals. Alot of people in the winter increase and/or take Vitamin C to keep the common cold at bay but be careful as I did read about someone that took high doses for a few days and I guess it all kicked in and she felt like her methadone was not working at all.  Her clinic gave her some information on it.  I want to think she told me she took a thousand milligrams a day.

urinary acidifiers (e.g.,ascorbic acid) Vitamin C and  K-Phos Dietary supplement; keeps calcium soluble.

Proposed, methadone excreted by kidneys more rapidly at lower pH (Nillson et al. 1982; Strang 1999).

http://www.atforum.com/SiteRoot/pages/addiction_resources/Drug_Interactions.pdf

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#18 [url]

Nov 5 11 3:37 PM

Its all the use of drugs that we did that affected our teeth not the methadome!

-braygirl23

For sure I wish I knew how to post a pic of me now and a pic of me 4 years ago (a mugshot arrest for leaving a treatment center my mother baker acted me into when I began attempting to clean up again). My hair looks like a sack of hay it scares me when I look at it.  Teeth, hair, nails and bones need the same nutrients etc...to maintain strength and health so drugs robbed me of all that and my hair in this pic is evident of this.  My teeth bothered me after I got clean so I thought it was the methadone and believe it or not I had a dentist tell me the methadone was aiding in the deterioration of my teeth.In fact the dentist went further to tell me to get off the liquid.  But like itomczak said it's sad to say but health professionals are helping to keep the myth alive I guess.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#19 [url]

Nov 5 11 3:46 PM

I might be wrong here as I know nothing at all about the science of break downs of medications in the body but one thing I might bring up and maybe someone might know the answer is would it not be somewhat of an individualized thing because some people can eat peanuts some cannot, Some people Benadryl knocks out some people it doesn't Some people ger knocked on their arses with pain meds some clean house stay up all night etc....So one might think that a person may get different affects from the breaking down and distributing process in the body of differently formulated methadones.  I know when I did drugs I got different affects from whether I ate them or crushed them etc....  I don't know just something to think about.

And as far as yesterday being the best feel you ever got off the methadone well you might want to note what you did or ate before and after you dosed etc... Someone told me to eat high fat foods to accentuate my methadone

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

ccourtneymac

#20 [url]

Nov 6 11 5:40 AM

No. Basically most of us don't have good hygiene when we're running around to cop. That's what rots the teeth, not methadone. On methadone preferance, IMO all of it is the same except the orange which we stopped getting about 18 years ago. Pete

-ptrsnake13

Sorry, guys, I have to go with Pete on this.  First, your rotting teeth are mostly due to the tab coming due on the damage you did to your teeth when you practiced little to no oral hygiene in the thick of your habit.

Second, I have had the white, orange, red, and clear methadone.  They are all the same (to me).  A lot of folks have elaborate differences spelled out for each kind of methadone in their heads, which is fine, too! Just because I do not notice a discernible difference does not mean that other people don't (notice a difference).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help