Remove this ad

CJinHighland

Lead

Jun 17 14 1:44 PM

Tags : : , ,

In March I was driving home from work in MI. A police car coming at me whipped around and pulled me over. He said someone on a cell phone said I was swerving. I was eating a carry out and maybe looking at my phone but don't think I was being dangerous. Officer asked if I had been drinking or doing drugs? I said no I just got off work. He ordered me out of my vehicle and proceeded to administer breath and roadside sobriety tests. Which I passed, while his partner serched my vehicle. He found my little black lock box and asked what was in it? I told him about being a patient at the methadone clinic and that was my take home dose. at that moment I was handcuffed and put in the back of the squad car. They impounded my vehicle, destroyed my drivers license and license plate. they brought me to the hospital for a blood draw and transported me to the county jail telling me I was being arrested for driving under the influence of methadone, which they confiscated for evidence. The next morning I was released and told I would receive a notice in the mail. about a month later I received a notice from the Sec. of State saying I had to come in and meet with licensing dept. because they were notified I had a health issue which affected my driving. when I went with forms from my doc and an eye doctor saying I was fine they suspended me for 1 month and restricted me to back and forth from work for 4 more. last week the paper license plate they gave me expired and when i went to get new plae the sec of state said no. I called police dept. and they said they were waiting for blood results, which I gaurantee the only thing there is my legal methadone...Has anybody ever experienced this kind of treatment for being a part of MAT? I'm a working single dad that had a vicodin problem several years ago. I can't afford a fancy attorney does anybody know a SE MI lawyer who will work with payments on a case like this? Does anybody think I have a chance or am I being railroaded into jail for being in recovery?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#1 [url]

Jun 18 14 5:17 AM

In some states, they can sometimes charge you with a DUI for driving on methadone, but they would also have to have corroborating evidence that you were driving badly. They seem to have some sort of evidence, as someone did call them to say you were driving erratically.

Even if they do find you guilty of a DUI, I can't see that they'd send you to jail for it, as it is a prescribed medication, it's not like you were taking illicit drugs, so it's technically more of a health issue than a DUI one.

I really think your best bet is to see a lawyer about this. Can you find one of those ones where they give you a consultation for free or something?

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#2 [url]

Jun 20 14 10:51 AM

Check out these links and see if this can help...I would also contact NAMA...and find out about representation in court regarding this.
http://www.lac.org/doc_library/lac/publications/Educating_about_Methadone.pdf
http://beta.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/partnersforrecovery/docs/Know_Your_Rights_Brochure_0110.pdf

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#3 [url]

Jun 21 14 4:12 AM

I think legal advice is the best thing to do also Way. In some states, it seems that even f you're prescribed methadone and you drive, it's a DUI. What happens if you get in a wreck then, is your insurance invalid?

Over here, unless you notify the DMV that you're on methadone, you will be charged with a DUI if you're caught, and your insurance will be invalid also.

Quote    Reply   

daughterofsatan

#4 [url]

Oct 9 14 10:18 AM

This happened to me one time. I was driving back from the clinic having got my dose and take homes. I was sick from withdrawal and the methadone hadn't kicked in yet so I guess I was swerving a little bit on the road and I got pulled over by a cop. He asked if I had been drinking and I said no. I said I wasn't feeling good. He saw my lock box and asked to see what was in it. I showed him. I told him I was on methadone and that I just got dosed. I told him I was in withdrawal and wasn't feeling well and that was why I swerved. At first he wanted me to take a breathalyzer and I said fine and that I had nothing to hide. He changed his mind because he thought i would fail it. I even begged to take it because I knew I would pass but he said no. So he made me drive to a nearby parking lot while he followed behind me.He then told me to call someone to pick me up which I did but I wasn't charged with anything.

Quote    Reply   

reviewsatisfaction

#5 [url]

Oct 10 14 6:14 AM

This happening to you totally

SUCKS I stand firm on that statement...As much as we do have a problem with society and the law of the land, what happens to us after leaving a legal clinic that can prescribe to us both medication we drive home with in our bodies and those of us that have our take homes with us ioo. None of us should have to go at this alone, when our own clinics should and could stand behind us but do not.
At least not down here in the land of cotton.
My clinic that holds almost every day meetings brought this subject matter up and told us  how the POlice that had confiscated methadone in their county where the clinic is providing what they consider a service, not a legal treatment. Which is a problem in itself Also  telling us all not to lose our medication in any manner, because it will not be replaced once you are out the Clinic's door.

If you lost your medication no matter how many, Johnny Law keeps them in a box and makes a visit to our Clinic. Where the POlice make a habit of visiting the clinic proudly showing what they have taken illegally/legally. The bottles they have in their possesion, seem to come along with many a false story, along with making out as if they did not take them from a whoever just off the streets,  Like any other drug, they consider theirselves doing their job.
And of course these bottles go hand in hand with a DWI.Often with slow toxicology report on the individual and a series of hoops to jump through so you will not want to spend the money to pursue this if arrested.
So even if our clinic receives a police report. from someone who is a patient there, either losing their bottles or having them taken away, Our clinic will not give anyone replacement bottles.

I have said this before and I will say it again since many a person  has had a problem with prescription drugs, Maybe for the first time...If you see it has been too long,realizing that feeling uncomfortable without it and you can not get anymore or don't want anymore. You proudly, kept yourself from going to street drugs.the curse of the needle and belittling your life even more.
You and many other troubled souls can look online and find a way to detox for 21 days with methadone, and then walk away from this kind of life once and for all. 

Although so many see a free ride to finding a easy way to get off said drug and stay on methadone for no real reason after the withdrawal/detox is over.
What may look as being a legal  free ride to getting high, is not true, because it is not prescribed for anyone to get high This causes grave concern for those that have a lifetime of drug use and abuse. The only exception to the rule is them....Methadone maintence is not for every person tthat walks throug the door..unfortunate for many the clinic is seeing dollar signs $$$ and not the well being of those first timers. Build back your self esteem and walk away after the deed is done. If not, you will understand on down the road.....Just what I mean.
Also if my box was locked I would try to say there are my important documents in the box and I had to go back home cuz I didn't have combination with me..Which would be cool if no one saw me pulling out of the clinic personally..I would like to think anyways Still best answer, IMO is Clini backing a patient up somehow if there were no laws broken.
Good information @Wayover provided but I wonder if there is something more updated and if not is this standing firm in all catogories???

Be all that you can be
Reviewsatisfaction

Last Edited By: reviewsatisfaction Oct 10 14 6:46 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#6 [url]

Oct 11 14 3:25 AM

I think that it's an individual's choice as to whwther they decide to stay in MMT, and even if people wish to stay forever, that is better than certain things. Such as being completely miserable trying to maintain abstinence, or bouncing in and out of abstinence based treatment because you keep relapsing, which could also be very damaging to your health.

It's just not as simple as "building up your self esteem" and then coming off. Some people cannot either achieve or maintain abstinence, and it's nothing to do with self esteem.

As far as the police pulling you over and taking TH doses, many good clinics will work with the local police to make sure that they (the cops) are not profiling clinic patients and pulling them over as soon as they leave the clinic. It's wrong to profile people like that, and the police shouldn't be doing it.

I do have some more information on this topic somewhere I think, so I'll try and find it and dig it out to post here if I can.

Quote    Reply   

reviewsatisfaction

#7 [url]

Oct 11 14 5:13 PM

I a not generalizing everyone

Just those that tried and have the choice of maintaing their lives on methadone after detoxing 
@Sapphire you posted that you dropped many mgs You must have made the decision yourself...in some way
Just as everyone has that right at any point in time
Clinics do not have the right to decide for you
Especially if Clinics do mark 21 day detox on the first day....MMT should not be spoke of, during intake...
A person can change their mind if not ready....just saying.
My clinic and many of the others I entered offered me MMT during intake
To me that is not the time to decide such matters...
If clinics will not stand behind their patient after they leave and then get stopped by the police with take homes
Only shows me they all do not have our best interest at heart
I for one do not want to go without my methadone because the POlice take it from me.
Sapphire is in England where she says she can let the authorities know about MAT.
A benefit we here in the USA, can not share with our lawmakers......

Be all that you can be
Review

Last Edited By: reviewsatisfaction Oct 11 14 5:25 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#8 [url]

Oct 13 14 4:01 AM

What I was saying about clinics working with the police, I am talking about the US, not the UK. I'm curious about you thinking that clinics shouldn't mention MMT at intake. When do you think is an appropriate time to talk about it? What do you think clinics should be offering at intake?

I'm not entirely convinced that not offering/mentioning maintenance when you start at the clinic is a good idea. It just makes people feel pressured, knowing that they will only have 21 days or 3 months to get stabilised, and get off it. Maintenance doesn't have to mean forever, it just means as long as the person feels they need it for.

You sound like you're quite fed up with a lot of things, is everything OK?

Quote    Reply   

the elephantman

#9 [url]

Oct 16 14 3:52 AM

Yes i fully agree with @sapphire, maintenance should absolutely be mentioned. There is no way anybody can say how long it will take a person to recover.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#10 [url]

Oct 17 14 4:43 AM

That's what I was thinking too Eman. If you tell a patient that they are getting put on a 21 day detox, or a 3 month detox, that is a lot of pressure to put them under. You could still stay on methadone for a short time, but as it's subjective meaning it's completely different from one person to the next, you just can't put a time scale on it.

For people that have not been using for long, or only have very small habits, I think that perhaps trying buprenorphine might be the best bet for those people, rather than stepping straight into MMT.

Quote    Reply   

reviewsatisfaction

#11 [url]

Oct 19 14 7:14 AM

not to be taken lightly

I a just  saying this is how it was done early on in the 70's and even 80's you detox and then clinics would offer MMT. Nothing was wrong with that. Clinics will not shut you out if you are not ready to go. That is all. Times are changing and this is why now the police are involved with finding lock boxes and pulling patients over because now, they do know clinics exists in every county.
@Sapphire I a fine though, thanks for asking.
Maybe if the US did as you posted that the UK does with having to report to the DMV, we too will be under the microscope even more.
I totally went off topic though...and IMO I think self esteem has alot to do with everything in a person's life.     

Quote    Reply   

the elephantman

#12 [url]

Oct 19 14 8:05 AM

@sapphire: I could not agree more!! IMO, methadone is more of a maintenance medication whereas bupenorphine could be more useful for a short term detox. Now, please do not misunderstand me. Both methadone AND buprenorphine can be useful as a maintenance medication. I myself was on subutex for 27 months. For the first year it honestly worked quite well for me but it seemed from the 1 year mark on it was nothing but a down hill spiral. By the 2nd year mark i had really started sliding backwards until i was back in full blown active addiction. Oh yea, somethin i forgot too mention. Before i got on bupe i'd told myself that if bupe didnt work out i would switch to methadone before i let myself go back to using on the street. So, there i was clearly heading for disaster. Well, i got my last script of bupe July of 2011. I was prescribed 24mg's a day. Throughout that whole month of July i cut my dose down drastically. When i got to about the 20th day into my last bupe script, i just stopped taking it all together. I know, pretty crazy huh? Yes and No. I started substituting with lortab and oxy until August 3rd of 2011 when i went for intake at the methadone clinic. So there was about 13 to 14 days from the time i completely stopped taking bupe to the time i did my intake onto methadone. Would you believe even 8 days after i had completely stopped taking bupe i still was getting ZERO effect from regular opiates. I couldnt believe it. Im guessing because i'd been on the bupe for so long that it took quite awhile for it too clear my system. So 8 days of total abstinence from the bupe and i was getting ZERO effect from regular opiates which meant the bupe was still pretty heavily stuck to my opiate receptors therefore blocking regular opiates from attaching. Anyways, August 3rd finally arrived and i got onto methadone. I've been on methadone from August 3rd of 2011 until this present time. At ANY point whether it was while i was on bupe or methadone, had someone told me i had such and such time too be off the medication, i can honestly say i would not have been as successful as i am today. Anybody who believes in a set time limit to treatment should really do a LOT more research. I mean seriously think about it, and i'll speak for me personally. Im 30 years old at this moment. I started using drugs when i was 15 years old. I've been on methadone for a little over 3 years and i was on bupe for 27 months before methadone. So 3 years plus 27 months is 5 years and 3 months of MAT for me. So from the time i was 15 until the age of 25 i was in active addiction. Thats 10 years of active addiction. How can someone possibly think a person can recover from 10 years of drug use with a short 21 day detox? Or even a 3 month detox? My point is, there is NO set time for recovery. Recovery is reached at your own pace. Everybody is different. What works for some may not work for others. Its basic common sense.

Here i've done went off on a rant of my own lol. I apologize for that. Hell i dont even know if i stayed on topic lol. I just got too typin and thoughts started flowing.

I myself am happy on methadone and i have no intentions of changing that anytime soon. If you got anything from all of this, maybe it helped you all too understand a bit of my past with drugs. Maybe not so much of the active addiction aspect of things but you got a good run down of my journey into recovery. I'd like too thank everyone for reading all of this.

@Wayover wanted me too let you all know she is thinking about you all and she wants me too let all of you know she will return soon. She is going thru a lot right now but she is very strong and once she gets too feeling better she will be back. So, no worries there. She wishes you all well and she cant wait too be back. If you have any questions or issues PM @sapphire. Thats something im sure you all already know but i figured i'd say it anyways in the event we have newcomers who arent as familiar with things as everyone else. I would like too thank sapphire for the wonderful job she is doing here!! She is truly amazing. Thank you @sapphire!!

Take care everyone!!

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#13 [url]

Oct 20 14 3:59 AM

I don't know whether having to self report to the DMV that you're in MMT is a good thing or not really. People that are taking benzo's and pain meds also have to self report, so they aren't picking on people in recovery at all. However, it does mean that once you've self reported, the police cannot harass you (if they know you're on the clinic and are driving).

As for whether you should mention at the start of treatment that maintenance is available or not, personally I think you should. The more options that a person has available, the more choices they feel they have, the more likely they are to get a successful outcome. I'm not sure how not telling a patient that they can have maintenance at the start of treatment is going to help? Those that only need MAR for a short period would only use it for a short period anyway, and those that require longer, would be left having to complete a short course and then potentially relapsing etc.

Quote    Reply   

the elephantman

#14 [url]

Oct 22 14 4:09 AM

I 110% believe with my whole heart that putting a time limit on recovery is WRONG. There is NO way somebody can say how long it will take a person too recover. It should be completely up to the patient. Recovery is a process.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#15 [url]

Oct 24 14 3:08 AM

I believe that too Eman. Telling people they have 21 days, or 3 months puts a lot of pressure on them, and I don't think that 21 days, or even 3 months is long enough to get on a stable dose, and then taper safely from that dose. It's not enough time to deal with the issues that led you to using in the first place.

Then when you finish the treatment, you are at increased risk of OD, as your tolerance will be very low. The % of people dying from OD when they exit treatment is very high.

If you leave treatment after this short time and relapse, you also run the risk of contracting blood borne virus' like Hep A/B/C, or HIV. You are also at risk of committing crime to fund your habit, which could lead to you getting a criminal record that will limit your career prospects in the future. Or landing you in jail for a ridiculous amount of time!

Quote    Reply   

Bad1i9

#16 [url]

Nov 4 15 6:32 AM

45 minute window

In my county. Westmorland in pa. You have a 45 minute window from the time you dose to the time your. Consideredi ntoxicated. So basically you have 45 minutes to get home. Because when you swallow your dose it doesnr become active instantly. At my clonic the cops would sit at the exit everyday. And pull over everybody who cane out the clinic and got in the driver seat. So the clinic got fed up with it. So they filled a report to the sherif and told them avout how t takes 45 minutes for your methadone to necime active and now no more cops sitting at the clinic anymore and no more people getting arrested for not doing anything wrong. So if thus is hapoening to your clinic or you. Get tge main doctor at the clinic to write a hand weitten letter stating this r5 minute window rule and always keep it in your car to show the cops. Or if you can find the actuall medicle info about thisvr5 mi ute rule online just print it out. Thats what my clinic is doing now. They gave everyone a printed out sheet and filled against the police that there not allowed on there property for that reason anymore as its private property.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#17 [url]

Nov 4 15 8:20 AM

Hi Bad1i9, and welcome!

If anyone ever has problems with the cops waiting outside clinics to get people for DUI's or any other supposed/alleged infraction, they should speak to the director of the clinic. The clinic will then speak to the local Sheriff's office, and should explain that it's illegal to profile patients like this.

I've never heard of this 45 min window before, so I don't know if it exists in other counties/states.

Quote    Reply   

SameBullCrap1974

#18 [url]

Apr 8 17 12:24 AM

Writen an OWI for car accident from seizure (withdrawl from benzos) because my methadone doctor made me wean from benzos and on methadone...

Last summer I had been going on one year in methadone therapy for vicodin addiction/abuse (My PCP actually prescribed them to me for chronic pain..)..I was sick and tired of being dependent on them. So the doctor in charge of my cares decided that I should try to get off the  benzodiazapines because its dangerous and can be deadly when mixed with methadone so I agreed. My psychiatrist put together a taper plan to get me off of them. He said it should take around 2 to 3 weeks which apparently wasn't long enough due to the fact that I had been on them for close to 15 years. I had completed my taper and had gone to the clinic early in the am and since I was on phase four whih allowed me like four or five take homes so I would always bring my lock box with me to put them in. So I went and left and I was almost home and my vision got all weird and the next thing I knew I was being asked a ton of questions by the police and the Emergency service people...I was very confused and had no idea what had happened.. Once they had gotten me to agree to try and stand up and get onto the cot so that I could get taken by ambulance to the emergency department so that they could look me over and of course take all the tests the police needed me to do such as a breathalyzer(I blew zeros because I don't drink). did the whole blood draw and gave a urine sample. They never actually arrested me and took me to jail all they did was ask a million questions about my methadone, adderall(which I also had a script for) and some random pills like advil and tylenol that they found in my purse. Then to top that off since my daughter is diabetic I had insulin syringes, alcohol pads, and a used plastic laundry soap container with used syringes inside because I had plans on dropping them off at the local Wal-Greens. So in the police report there was one officer who took the methadone, syringes, and alcohol wipes all into one little oackage to make it sound like I was a heroin user who shot up which has never been the case.... I have never ever in my lifetime put a needle of heroin into my body!!! I mean really ..WTF? So I have been waiting around 10 months for the blood draw results to come back which they just finally did two and a half weeks ago and at my first appearence I plead not guilty...So I now have my pre-trial conference on Wednesday April 12th 2017...If anyone has thoughts, comments, ideas, etc... Please reply to this otherwise wish me luck....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help