Remove this ad

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#61 [url]

Jun 8 13 12:48 PM

It States in the Tennessee guideline/rules that a dose should never be denied when a clinic is legally closed. 
But Wisconsin I am unsure...I would be calling somebody at the methadone authority and NAMA and SAMHSA

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

pmlp47

#62 [url]

Jun 8 13 12:53 PM

I was told that the clinic that I attend if you get caught selling your Sunday dose they will no longer give you the take-home instead of discharging you from the program they give you the option to guess dose at a clinic that's open on Sunday or you go without that's seems so unjust but I guess its better than getting discharged from the program. It seems like a hell of a price to pay but when people take risk when they get caught they have to live with there actions.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#63 [url]

Jun 8 13 1:00 PM

If you are selling your dose then I can understand you not needing the Sunday bottle anyways but for a missed phone call is a bit punitive...

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

allison93

#64 [url]

Jun 9 13 6:54 PM

What other medication would you ever be forced to go a day without?!  Especially a medication that you get sick without! What if you had to work on Sunday? You be have to go to the street to buy methadone or something  else unless you didn't want to get fired !!!

I'm feel terrible for the person who is going through this, they bivouacked are way stronger than I am.

If the person was caught selling just make them come in everyday, so they will be used to taking there dose everyday and won't want to sell their dose on Sunday !

And to take away a dose for missing a freaking callback?! With NO dirty UAs and a good patient record! Blows my mind.

We all should make different reports to this clinics state methadone authority!

My clinic if you lose a bottle you lose all your take homes,  I lost a bottle I have no idea how! And the nurse and risked her job and vouched for me and didn't tell them bc she looked at my file and saw my history of all clean UAs except the first one of course, and that I had never missed a day.  She treated me like a human being, we make mistakes. And having to come into the clinic every day for some people who have weekly or more take homes is a big burden that some people can't do! That's why we worked are hardest to get take homes!

I wish more clinics were like mine in that they treat us like human beings and know people make mistakes. 

Taking someone's medication away, even for a day, I see it as medical neglect! And something needs to be done about it.
We pay for treatment, not to be treated like criminals.

"There is a way to be good again." Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#65 [url]

Jun 9 13 9:26 PM

I mean in all actuality it is quite barbaric of this clinic....I mean will this not affect the whole week in a sense.  I can see a random time one might miss the clinic one day and not dose but for someone to have to miss a day every week because of a punishment.  Does this not put his whole MMT regime in jeopardy?  About the 4th or 5th day after missing a dose he is just getting his stacked levels back in tune to miss another dose.  It is so "counterproductive" to what Methadone "maintenance" keyword maintenance stands for.  Stable therapeutic dose.....does that not get interrupted?  They need to be reported.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

allison93

#66 [url]

Jun 9 13 9:40 PM

Maybe the person who posted this could email me or way with their clinic name and we can post that the state methadone authority phone number and clinic we are reporting.

I will not say specifics I'm my call. But maybe something can be d one so this stops happening.

"There is a way to be good again." Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#67 [url]

Jun 10 13 4:29 AM

If this clinic is making people miss day's doses as a punitive measure, they seriously need reporting to the SMA, as this is beyond ridiculous.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#68 [url]

Jun 10 13 9:19 AM

@allison Good Idea let us know if we can help......I will call it in myself if the OP wants me to but it would be best handles if the OP did because they may ask questions I can't answer about the clinic...but Nick Rueter at SAMHSA too needs to be notified. 

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

kjacobs84

#69 [url]

Jun 10 13 9:30 AM

@Allison, I private messaged you will the info of my clinic. I also thought it seemed almost criminal for them to take away my Sunday dose. This past Sunday was rough to say the least, I didn't have my dose, its also that hormonal time of month us females deal with, plus dealing w all of that, I also had to attend my sister's bachelorette party in which we went out of town for the weekend. I tried my hardest to look happy and have fun but it took all my energy to do so.

I think I am supposed to be getting my Sunday dose back so we will see. Reading how many people are shocked at this, I think i might report this to the appropriate state agency. It doesnt take back what I went thru but to help those like me in the future would make it worth fighting back for. Honestly @Allison, you're right, what other meds in the world are health providers able to withhold a day's dose of as a form of punishment. seems beyond wrong!

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#70 [url]

Jun 10 13 1:26 PM

Do you know if this is true in Memphis?  If this was the case, I could financially do it.

-hg

I don't know how it still is but I do know that when I first started the clinic in Jackson,TN I was driving 140miles round trip everyday except sunday(they were closed on sundays at that time so I got a takehome for then) Anyways I asked my counsler about the hardship takehomes and he had me write a letter stating why exactly it was a hardship for me to come daily with stuff like the type of vehicle I drove, how much gas is per gallon, the clinic hours and how it affected my being able to get the kids off to school,find a job etc.. Well I walked in on a Friday after being at the clinic for 7weeks and was told I was approved for one hardship exemption effective immediately which I would have had the weekend off if I had brought my box at that time but instead ended up with sunday and Monday off... I walked in the next Friday at 8weeks on the clinic and was told I had been approved for another so ended up having sun,mon and tues off.. You cant get them all together like that anymore but could back then... Then 4weeks later at my 3month mark I was approved for 4 total takehomes coming 3 days a week..At that point though I did have to split them up since I was so new on the clinic and had the choice of coming mon-wed-fri or tues-thurs-sat.. since this was a Thursday I just chose the tues-thur and sat one so I could immediately get it started.. At the 5month mark on the clinic they finally allowed me to have my 4 takehomes together which was a blessing because I had just started a new job working 7am-7pm on sun,mon &tues one week and sun,mon,tues and wed the next so it worked well for me to go in on thurs,friday and sat's...    at 7months on the clinic I was allowed to hardship into my weeklies.. which normally happens at the 9month mark in TN...

Anyways I got all this written out and realize that it may all be moot now considering this was 9yrs ago and Tennessee rules have changed even if I haven't seen any changes to the rules and regs regarding hardship takehomes...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

beth

#71 [url]

Jun 10 13 8:12 PM

This is ridickulas!!  Is your fee  waived on that day?  Can it be legal for them to do that?  It is certainly not in your best interest!!  Even  if they  are closed they   should have  some sort of agreement  with an emergency room/hospital  to dispense  for them,   What kind of punishment would they have given you for selling  the medication? 

Quote    Reply   

kjacobs84

#72 [url]

Jun 11 13 5:00 AM

They did wave the fee. I wasn't sure if they would and would have gone BALLISTIC! Also, it would have been the same punishment had I been selling it. Sunday takehomes taken away and loss of phase. Messed up!

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#73 [url]

Jun 11 13 5:17 AM

@Kjacobs - so as they are shut on Sunday's, and don't want to give you any TH's, they are making you skip Sunday's dose all the time?!

If I have that correct, you definitely need to report this. It is so far beyond wrong that I cannot even begin to tell you.

Please, please do report them.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#75 [url]

Jun 11 13 8:06 AM

I have spent my morning looking into this and from what I can understand....a medical director CAN take a patients Sunday takehome/Single takehome if the patient does not totally pass the 8 point criteria....(which has many slippery loopholes in the Director's favor of course why would we have thought otherwise) BUT..... It does provide that the Director should make all necessary maneuvers to get the Patient dosed on the closure day with another facility etc...
SEE THE LINK:
http://www.dpt.samhsa.gov/pdf/dearColleague/DearColleagueLetterSundayHolidayTH_012408.pdf
WHICH STATES:
OTPs that close for business on a day of the week or for a Federal or State holiday should have an arrangement in place to permit each patient who the medical director has determined not to be an appropriate candidate for take-home medication use to be dosed under supervision. For example, the OTP could have an arrangement with a medical facility (hospital) or another OTP in the community to permit the patient to be medicated under appropriate medical supervision. Or the OTP may decide to open for a limited period of time to dispense to patients not eligible for the take-home supply. We also refer you to our Dear Colleague Letter dated November 7, 2005 (http://www.dpt.samhsa.gov/pdf/dearColleague/2006-01-Holiday-Closures.pdf).
For additional information or questions, please contact Jennifer Fan, Pharm.D., J.D., Public Health Advisor, at (240) 276-1759 or by e-mail at Jennifer.fan@samhsa.hhs.gov.
FOR FURTHER REVIEW HERE IS THE LINK TO THE LETTER REGARDING HOLIDAY CLOSURES:
http://www.dpt.samhsa.gov/pdf/dearColleague/2006-01-Holiday-Closures.pdf
THE STATE METHADONE AUTHORITY DOES NOT LIST THEIR REQUIREMENTS SO I WOULD CONTACT THEM DIRECTLY:
Wisconsin State Methadone Authority.

Tanya K.  Hiser
1 W. Wilson, Room 850

Madison, WI 53703
Telephone: (608) 267-7707
Fax: (608) 264-6066
Tanya.Hiser@wisconsin.gov

now the reason (EVEN THOM IT APPEARS THE director has a loophole) I offer all the above info is in hopes you will contact them anyways because in the eight point criteria the director has been a little overboard in her views.  Also it needs to be noted in case we see Directors taking total advantage of this "loophole" as we all know can happen.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

kjacobs84

#76 [url]

Jun 11 13 9:22 AM

At this point, I was told I can have Sunday's dose back effective immediately but either way, I will be reporting this this afternoon when I'm done working for the day. No one should have to go without medication.

They are still stalling on a decision about TH's for my sisters wedding. I think they're purposely waiting til the last minute. I told about it 12days ago now. Smh!

Quote    Reply   

kjacobs84

#77 [url]

Jun 12 13 7:03 AM

Get a load of this! I went in today and. my counselor said she just can't give me 4 whole takehomes for my sisters wedding next week. Her newest "solution"...guest dose at a clinic 140 miles away! Seriously now, she thinks I have the time or money, plus the use of someones vehicle to drive 4.5 hrs per day during a wedding week!? She must be out her damn mind!!

I broke down, at the very least, I do deserve this. I told her she was jeopardizing my treatment at this point in making me choose. Seeing me cry must have broken her strong opposition to be willing to work with me on this and said she would talk to the director and have an answer by tomo morning. this gets crazier by the day!

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#79 [url]

Jun 12 13 12:00 PM

OMG...Pinch me please so I might wake up out of this effin nightmare.   Tell them to do right by you or you are taking it to the top....They have already created a heapload of injustices towards your treatment. 

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

tracyland

#80 [url]

Jun 12 13 4:06 PM

Wayover gave me some useful advice a while back when the clinic I had been at for 8 years run by Colonial management took me from level 6 (1 month take aways) to Level ZERO for an insane amount of time for a benzo positive, then negative u/a then on same day positive mouth swab (yeah it was a mess, especially since I was clean) BUT the main feeling was that of being criminalized and punished by people who I entrust and pay for treatment. It really messed with my emotions and caused many months of grief.

I started a Log and carried it into the clinic with me everyday and documented every exchange and result, date, etc. I asked for a grievance form, but ended up meeting with director before filing. It wasn't until I started submitting my requests (I request I be incresed a level) (I request 5 take homes for my sisters out of town wedding) and give reasons, where who how...my point being once Typewritten documents from me to director (since counselor wasn't being helpful) started they had to play more fair.

The good news for me is I have since left that clinic to go to one that was talked bad about and it turns out 3 counselors are in active 12 step recovery and groups are positive and it is a therapeutic environment.

Since I am already stigmatized because I have the disease of addiction I tend to emotionally revert to bad girl when my integrity is in question. Putting facts in writing helps me to "edit" my comments ahead of time. My favorite question is "Is that a State Law, Federal Law or just a company policy..."

Good Luck!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help