Remove this ad

jttjek

Lead

Apr 22 13 4:27 AM

Tags : :

I live in Memphis, TN and need help. I am addicted to methadone and other opiates. I have to buy them off the street. I would rather go to a clinic. Can anyone provide me with answers where? When? How? What I need to know when I go? I AM DESPERATE. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#1 [url]

Apr 22 13 5:36 AM

The first thing you need to do is look on the Internet and find the clinic that is nearest to you, or the clinic that is in TN that you decide you wish to attend.

Get the phone number and call them up to get an induction appointment.

Here is a link to a clinic locator for you, you just need to out in your state and follow the instructions!

http://dpt2.samhsa.gov/treatment/directory.aspx

I'm not sure if clinics in TN have waiting lists, but I don't think so.

The clinic will give you an appointment for an induction, they will ask you for a urine sample that they will test for the presence of opiates and other drugs. They will expect the test to be positive for opiates/opioids.

They will ask you for a detailed history of your drug use, how much you use, what route do you administer it (eg, do you inject), they may ask you if you'd like them to do HIV/Hep tests for you.

Once you have seen the doctor, and they have agreed to prescribe for you, they will start you off on a dose (usually around 40mg) and they will increase that every few days until you get to a dose that stops physical withdrawal for 24 hours, and helps abate cravings to use drugs.

You will be expected to attend the clinic every day for dosing, and for other appointments with your counsellor, and possibly some group appointments, but each clinic differs on this, and they will go through it with you on induction.

Once you have got to a dose that means you are comfortable and not using, and you are giving urine samples that are drug free, you can work towards getting take-homes, so you don't have to go to the clinic as frequently.

If you are prescribed benzodiazepines (such as Valium, Xanax), some clinics will not let you have take-homes, and some even will not let patients be on benzo's full stop. If you're not on them though, this is obviously not an issue for you.

The clinic will expect you not to drink excessively, some clinics will not let you smoke pot, and they will expect you to abstain from using all illicit and un-prescribed drugs

There is quite a lot to methadone treatment and the clinic system, but that it a little bit of it in a nutshell!

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#2 [url]

Apr 22 13 9:58 AM

Is Methadone your only drug of choice??  Were you or do you do any other opiates?  How much methadone are you taking...daily?  How long have you been taking methadone off the streets.  Have you ever been addicted to anything before?  Have you tried to stop on your own?  Have you ever had any attempts at treatment (some clinics require you have two failed attempts at either treatment or at least tried on your own to have went abstinent.  These are going to be very relevant questions and answers any clinic is going to ask.  Then there is the question of choosing between methadone or suboxone as you medication assisted treatment modality.

Anyways welcome to the DAWG....and congrats on your decision to do something about this......Please do not be discouraged in getting into MMT (methadone maintenance treatment/therapy) if and when you read all the Tennessee frustrations on the forum.  In all honesty Tennessee is a State that is not the greatest at providing solid MMT for addicts but...Good news is many people do not require more than 100 milligrams and maybe you will fall into this category.  Worry about one thing at a time and the first being Induction which is approx the first 30 to 60 days of getting you admitted....and finding a dose that keeps the withdrawals and cravings absent....then there is stabilization which is a 30 to 90 day period of time where you become acclimated and stable on your dose and then there is the maintenance phase which is however long you need or desire to be in MMT. 

Telling us a little more about your situation might help us answer things more specific for your needs.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#3 [url]

Apr 22 13 12:52 PM

@ jt: Welcome to the dawg.. There's a few Methadone clinics in Memphis so check out the clinic locator that sapphire provided u with in her post and it will help u find the nearest clinic to u. Hope everything goes well for u, and there's alot of people on this forum that will be very helpful and try to answer any questions u may have about methadone treatment etc..

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#4 [url]

Apr 22 13 2:28 PM

Welcome to the DAWG, @jttjek! There are 3 clinics in Memphis and another couple that aren't too far... All three of the Memphis clinics are owned by Dallas, TX based Behavioral Health Group - "BHG" - and their locations are all listed on their website here: Tennessee Locations. As you can see, there is a clinic on Getwell Rd, one on Madison Ave., and one on Old Austin Peay Hwy in Memphis. To my knowledge there aren't waiting lists at any of the three clinics in Memphis. 

You can also inquire about treatment at one of the Memphis Clinics via their website here: Get Treatment | Opioid Addiction Treatment Services.  Just fill out & submit that form online... That's your first step to getting methadone treatment with one of the 3 Memphis, TN clinics... You can also (of course) call any or all of the clinics by phone.... Their phone numbers are listed on the first link ("Tennessee Locations") I listed above. 

I must say that it's WONDERFUL you're making this first step to getting your life back on track! Come back to the DAWG often... Keep us posted on your progress... We're here for you!! :-)

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   

jttjek

#5 [url]

May 1 13 3:06 AM

I have called and called and left messages at the clinic. No one is calling me back. I am getting desperate. Should I just walk in?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#7 [url]

May 1 13 4:56 AM

keep calling between 530am and 10am most require an apt for induction

-briton32

If you're calling in "normal" office hours of 9-5, you might not get anyone. You need to find out when the clinic is open for dosing, as Briton suggest, 5:30-10am, and just keep trying.

If you have tried for more than a couple of days you could go down there, but just be aware that there is a likelihood that all they will do is make you an appointment to come back for an induction.

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#8 [url]

May 1 13 5:48 AM

@jttjek - Which Memphis clinic are you wanting to attend? If it's one that I have a contact I'd be happy to call and speak to a live person on your behalf.... Just let me know. I'll send you a private message as well. I'm happy to help in ANYway I can. I know that many of the BHG phone systems have automated answering systems (all but ONE BHG clinic in TN is answered by a computer to my knowledge), and often when you select the "new patient" or "intake" option you will end up on a voicemail. I know that can be frustrating (one thing I definitely don't like about BHG's phone system & intake setup)... But I'm here for you, buddy... I'll private message you & help you in ANY way that I can.

Congrats on making the decision to get treatment!

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   

Countryxboy09

#9 [url]

Sep 4 16 8:22 PM

I'm already detoxed but bad cravings can I still be a patient at clinic??

My drug of choice was heroin and opiates I detoxed at the lakeside hospital so I won't have it in my system my cravings r horrible can I still be a candidate for the bhg methadone clinic??

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help