Remove this ad

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#81 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:12 AM

@philly...we  have a wonderful member that pops in and out here she runs a Georgia forum......her names is ruthann "lilgirllost" get up with her she is an advocate and very knowledgeable about clinics and GA. Clinics for sure....

http://www.medicalassistedtreatment.org/289380/

http://atwatchdog.lefora.com/members/lilgirllost/

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

the elephantman

#82 [url]

Apr 17 13 11:44 AM

@zac: Nah im def not from Tennessee. Im in alabama. I drive to North Carolina from alabama. Alabama is not good at all for mmt. So i struck a pot of gold switchin to NC clinic bc im finally getting an optimal dose along with 2week takehomes. Im even savin money by goin to my NC clinic. And thats with med and gas cost im still spending less money for treatment.

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#83 [url]

Apr 17 13 11:51 AM

@ eman & zac: Yea I've spoke with a couple people that attend the paducah clinic in Kentucky this week and they told me as far as their dosing needs go they're satisfied and they're on higher doses, but the one thing they're not satisfied about is that in Kentucky they water down their carryouts and one of them gets two weeks worth of takehomes and they were complaining about the water and not liking it put on their carryouts, but besides that they were pretty happy with their clinic in Kentucky, and the dose situation was great.

O yea I'm def not gna take just a nurses word that's why I spoke to one of my friends and had them get a couple of their friends from paducah to call me and we talked about it a little bit which is very helpful being able to speak with someone that actually attends the clinic.One of the paducah clinic patients I spoke with actually used to attend a clinic here in Tennessee which was in Jackson Tennessee which is a sister clinic to mine, and they said they were stuck @ 135mgs in Jackson, and once they got to paducah they got to their stable dose of 190mgs and only had to get one peak and trough to get there.

They also said that Kentucky has their downsides like any state, but that as far as dosing goes that Kentucky is a lot better about getting patients to a stable dose than Tennessee is so that's good. Yea I make sure to check around alot before I believe anything lol, but Kentucky sounds great as far as higher dosing goes, but all in all with the take home situation there I would rate it OK all together, but definitely better than ten which isn't hard to beat on the dose situation.

@ way: I appreciate the info I may try and speak with her then if I decide to check that clinic out. Honestly though I'm really considering Missouri, or the Evansville Indiana because of the all around treatment of both of those places. I could do the paducah clinic because as far as dealing with higher doses the paducah clinic will get u there through a couple peak and troughs, but the downside is the carryout situation in Kentucky they water down ur carryouts which I don't think I would like because I've heard way too much about mold issues. Wish I child find a jnic I could attend once ever week or two weeks and get increases, and hopefully not have to come every day while getting increases, and it not just be a super far drive, but its looking like I'm going to have to drive pretty far, but treatment is worth that to me I'll drive however far it takes as long as I giy get good treatment. I appreciate everyone's comment you guys, and girl lol have been very helpful, and I'm still deciding on what I want to do because I'm still checking out other clinics.

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#84 [url]

Apr 17 13 8:20 PM

Zac~ yeah we have a few patients at my clinic from Paducah and I even had a friend who used to go there and then got off methadone all together.. in my part of the state (right at the Ky state line and the Mississippi river) people wanting on methadone used to have 2 choices that were about the same driving wise one was Jackson,tn and Jackson proff assoc. and the other was Paducah... most that went to Paducah ended up switching to Jackson due to ky archaic rules regarding take homes and the fact they were chronically low dosing.. I remember also on here not to long ago there was someone who was fighting with the Paducah clinic to get a dose over 50mg.. I will try to look it up.. wish I could remember who was the poster though.. 

and you are right about midsouth treatment center..Thats my clinic and its owned and operated by the doctor who is the clinic doctor and beth who is an rn and who I actually adore.. I cant tell you how well they would fight the state for increases because I haven't attempted to get any since being at this one.. I was just so discouraged by my experience in Jackson that I just never bothered..  The doctor and the rn that is the other owner both used to work for the Raleigh professional associates and the doctor worked for Jackson proff assoc also but I do believe that was before the new company(BHG I do believe) took Jackson and Raleigh over.. 

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#85 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:05 PM

@ Briton: Honestly the best choice is to try an get out of tennessee which is what I'm about to do. I doubt I'll go to paducah because of their carryout issues where they put water in them and also their a little different on some other things to do with their carryouts.

We've had quite a few patients come from Kentucky to my clinic because of kentucky watering down their carryouts, but when they got here they got their dose dropped because they were on a higher dose than my clinic accepted because they didn't have enough peak and troughs done to show they needed the level they were @ supposedly and then a few of them switched back like a few weeks later to Kentucky so it was a quick turnaround lol, but alot of them stayed that were on 120 or less because they didn't need higher dose and it didn't bother them.

The best out of state clinic so far that I've found thats the closest to where I live is cape girardeau missouri. They told me I would keep my carryouts and wouldn't have to come daily, and they don't do peak and troughs. The Indiana clinic said I would have to come daily for a week and then I would get my weekly carryouts back, and the Kentucky, paducah clinic said I would have to come daily until they got to know me and then I would get my carryouts, but if I was getting increases that I would have to come and be observed for a few days which isn't 2 bad its better than 7 n Tennessee, but I'd have the say the canoe girardeau clinic in Missouri and the Evansville, Indiana clinic sound the best to me. Briton have u thought about checking out any clinics out of state??

I also meant to say that I did talk to my friends friend from Kentucky the paducah clinic and they did say that some people do have problems getting to a stable dose but that's because they're peak and troughs come back really high, but that when the peak and trough kevels are low- lowish normal that you'll get ur increases, and u don't have to do it every 10mgs I forgot what they said there levels were, but mine were alot lower than theirs and they got like 55 MG's or something like that off one peak and trough which is about the way it should be because then it would be time to check the levels again, which I don't agree with peak and troughs because I understand that they shouldn't be used so that's made me think that maybe cape girardeau would be better because Tennessee has ruint me just about with all these peak and troughs even though my levels are low they keep on making me get one every 10mgs.

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#86 [url]

Apr 17 13 10:41 PM

@ way: I appreciate all the info on the Georgia clinics, but they're all a really long ways away from me. I just typed all 7 places in and some are 9-10hrs away, but the closest one is Nor cross, Georgia, but its 5 1/2hrs one way which is a good drive 11 hours total trip.

If I had to I would make that drive, but these other clinics are closer like the cape girardeau, Missouri clinic is I believe a little over 3 hours one way, and the Evansville Indiana clinic is the same a little over 3 hours one way. Paducah is 2 hours one way, but I don't like their carryout policies and I'm making sure whatever clinic I decide to transfer to that I'm going to be as happy as possible.

I know whatever clinic I end up going to isn't going to be perfect, but I'm going to make sure that I pick the best clinic out of all the options I have available. I've had a hard time finding all the clinics close to me because SAMHSA only let's me do a 100 mile radius, but I just go to the other states and get the name of the clinic and county, city, and type it in my navigation and find out how close it is that way.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#87 [url]

Apr 18 13 4:40 AM

Have you decided that you're definitely going to change clinic's then?

Could you guest dose at a few of them to get a "feel" for the place?

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#88 [url]

Apr 18 13 9:02 AM

Philly yes I have thought about changing clinics but right now its more of a money thing that anything.. My current clinic charges $12 a day where as cape charges $15 and then the gas and call backs.. But I have definitely thought about it.. I even called a couple in st. Louis which for me is only 3.5hrs one way away.. so yes I have,lol

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#89 [url]

Apr 18 13 9:11 AM

@ Sapphire: Great minds think alike lol.. Yea that's exactly what I'm going to do I'm going to guest dose @ my favorite 3 choices that way I can pick. I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to transfer, but I'm leaning more towards transferring than not. I've got a lot of stuff going on right now so I couldn't transfer @ the moment with how many hours I'm working @ work right now.

I'm also in the process of getting an interview for another job which is a great job so I'm going to have to make sure that I'm around here when that happens because this job is one of those that I would be hating myself if I messed myself up by missing the interview ya know. Once I get my interviews done and all this other stuff then I'm going to start the guest dosing @ a few different clinics and see where it goes from there. I'm still checking out some other clinics @ the moment like in places I never thought about.

Are things going good for u sapphire?? I remember u said u was tapering your dose down so u could start pain management right?? I think that's what u said, but how is all that going if u don't mind me asking? Like what dose was u @, and what have u got down to? Would ur pain management doctor not let u stay on methadone and also get ur other medications he's going to give u??

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#90 [url]

Apr 18 13 9:50 AM

@ Briton: Maybe eventually u can change clinics hopefully, or maybe get to a stable dose in Tennessee if they would quit doing the dose capping thing they like to do "Wishful Thinking".. See the cape clinic isn't much more than what I pay @ my clinic because I'm Already paying 98$s a week for treatment and the cape girardeau clinic is 105$ a week so that's not much of a difference to me.

Your clinic has a really good price briton so I can see where ur coming from because that would be alot more $ you'd be spending. That's crazy that me and u both are in Tennessee, and that my clinic is 56$s more a month. It's because mine is a BHG unfortunately. Just try an stay positive Briton because that's what I've done, and it helps, but things will be better eventually hopefully here very soon u can get to a clinic out of state because I'm really considering it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#91 [url]

Apr 18 13 10:09 AM

@philly,  I remember that post about the paducah clinic from way back too so I went looking for her her or  him did not find it but I found a post/thread by Zenith about Tennessee that very engaging

http://atwatchdog.lefora.com/2012/01/29/tenn-pts-beware/

http://atwatchdog.lefora.com/2011/09/05/new-here/

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#92 [url]

Apr 18 13 10:28 AM

@way I looked for it to but couldn't find it either.. but remember it being on here.. could have been the old dawg though

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#94 [url]

Apr 18 13 5:46 PM

@ way: Yep that post by zenith is when Mr aka DICK VARNEY lol was wanting to try and do all that stuff here in Tennessee. I wish we could get him out of there and get someone else I'm because he's about as bad of s person that could be put in that position over all this. He really wants to get rid of all methadone clinics in my opinion. I think he would be soo happy if he could shut all the methadone clinics down in Tennessee.

I really think MR DICK VARNEY wouldn't care if it caused an all out war/all kinds of crime as long as he could say that people weren't going to have to take a substance the rest of their lives. He doesn't understand that this medication helps us, and I think he really thinks it just gets us high when he's really wrong. I think the only way that he would ever begin to support methadone would be if someone close to him gets a bad problem with pain meds and then enters MMT and gets better, but I don't think varney would ever met anyone close to him enter it he would rather them probably die from an od that to start methadone.

I can't stand that guy he doesn't realize he's actually hurting/killing people with his ignorant rules. There's people that drop out of treatment because of his ignorant rules, and end up going to jail/prison or worse ya know because they needed the methadone and counseling. That's all my opinions, but I've seen it and heard of it so I know its all happened, but I just wish so bad that methadone could be accepted all over the world and things would be so much better.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#95 [url]

Apr 19 13 5:47 AM

@Philly, I think you're right to be taking your time to look for, and do some homework on new clinics.

It's such a lot of hassle to change, that the last thing you need is to move to somewhere worse.

I'm not bad atm thanks for asking!! I'm still tapering and am down to 60mg. Unfortunately I have been diagnosed with Opioid Induced Hypogonadism, which basically means that methadone is suppressing production of hormones in my body.

Normally I wouldn't be that bothered, as I don't have any annoying symptoms, but I am trying to have a baby and need these hormones as they are essential for reproduction.

So, I'm seriously considering going faster on my reduction, or even (and I said I'd never do this!!) swapping to Subs, as apparently it has less of an effect on hormones than methadone.

Bet you wish you never asked LOL!!

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#96 [url]

Apr 19 13 5:49 AM

Philly yes I have thought about changing clinics but right now its more of a money thing that anything.. My current clinic charges $12 a day where as cape charges $15 and then the gas and call backs.. But I have definitely thought about it.. I even called a couple in st. Louis which for me is only 3.5hrs one way away.. so yes I have,lol 

-briton32

I just converted that to £ sterling, and that is really reasonable. I know it adds up over the month, but it doesn't seem as bad as some places.

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#97 [url]

Apr 19 13 8:27 AM

@ sapphire: I really hate to hear that the methadone is causing issues with u wanting to have a baby.. Do u think you'll go back on methadone once u get off and have a baby, or are u going to just go without any medication?? I thought I remembered u posting about going to a pain management doctor or something I think..

I may be thinking about another member, but I could've swore that it was u posting about going to be going to pain management and ur doc told u that once u get off the methadone that they would get u started up on something?? I hope all goes well for u sapphire, and I understand that u really want to have a baby and that's completely understandable to get off the methadone since its giving u issues with having a baby. Is that very common, or is it a fairly rare issue for women to have issues with having babies while on methadone??

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#98 [url]

Apr 19 13 10:07 AM

Hey ALL - I have been swamped the past couple of days, and now I'm about to head to a meeting... I'll have to catch up on these posts later this evening, but I did notice just a couple things in skimming...

@philly - I am pretty sure the Evansville, IN clinic is owned/operated by CRC Health Group... Look into that if you're seriously considering switching to them. I'm *not* saying that CRC ownership should be an immediate non-starter, but they are the largest chain of clinics in the nation and make BHG look like a mom & pop... Just FYI. There is a patient who is a member of another organization which I am an online administrator for (MMTSA) who attends the Evansville, IN clinic... I'd be happy to ask him if he would be willing to speak with you if you're interested. I do know they are a liquid only clinic if that is of any consequence to your decision.

@briton32 - You confirmed what I've heard from every single patient I've spoken with that are patients at Midsouth Tx Ctr in Dyersburg TN... It sounds like a wonderful clinic! :-) I'll be visiting there later this year to meet with the owners/director to help organize a patient advocacy group in conjunction with NAMA-Recovery as well as to get some support groups up and running if the need is there at that time. :-) If you're stable with your dose it sounds like you have plenty of reasons to be happy! The main issue in TN (there are many, I just mean the BIG one that's a MAJOR problem) is the dose/P&T situation... Patients who haven't achieved their stable dose by 120mg's (more like 100mg's, really) run into some issues (as @philly has attested & with which he has been dealing) getting their proper, medically-necessary dose to receive optimal benefits from the treatment. If that isn't an issue for you & you're happy with your clinic I personally don't see any major reason to switch. it's all up to you, though, of course! :-)

EVERYONE - I will find the exact call back regulation we've discussed (24 hours to return the call then 24hours from speaking to the clinic to show up at the clinic for the count/check) later this evening when I get back home & settled.... I don't know the URL off the top of my head, so I'll have to go through my countless (literally over 1000) bookmarks & find it... I will post it when I do & address anymore specific questions/concerns about that issue then.... :-)

ALSO, Everyone, REST ASSURED that there are MANY things going on "behind the scenes" to try to work out some of the NON-evidence-based things that have occurred in TN since Mr. DICK Varney's appointment as commissioner. I can't speak on details, but know that your concerns are NOT unwarranted and are NOT hopeless... :-)  Despite the regs that went into effect this past Dec/Jan I have reason to be VERY optimistic about POSITIVE changes in this State.... I say this only to try to give TN residents & patients who have dealt with issues getting the best treatment possible a little HOPE for a BRIGHTER and BETTER future in Tennessee for medication-assisted treatment patients!! 

:-)

Again, I'll go through this feed & read every comment in detail later on when I get back home... Just wanted to touch base, explain my absence & say a few words on some things I noticed while skimming.... 

In solidarity!

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#99 [url]

Apr 19 13 12:49 PM

Zac please let me know when you will be in dyersburg I would LOVE to meet you.. Beth and dr farmer both(mstc owners) have been begging me to start working as an advocate and beth is always begging me to run groups.. lol.. I would love to meet you.. As I said I love the clinic in dyersburg it seems really well ran even with only 1med window open most of the time..(only 2 of them total) I am not 100% on my dose but I just ride it out... I am almost there I think maybe another 20mg would get me good but I don't wanna deal with the bull ya know? I had so much of it to go from 80mg-120mg in Jackson..

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#100 [url]

Apr 19 13 2:19 PM

Wow Briton why don't u do the advocate thing how wonderful That they r inviting an advocate that CARF rep I spoke to that time told me he found clinics to be non responsive and even oppositional towards allowing advocates or maybe allowing is wrong wording so I mean they do not promote it as much he said we are seen as whistle blowers etc.... I am impressed I think every clinic should have a patient advocate regardless and Nama might could offer some kind of nama sponsored online program or class for the preparation of an advocate.

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help