Remove this ad

philly115

#61 [url]

Apr 14 13 2:32 AM

@ Briton: Yea I've asked the cape clinic about everything I could think of, and they said that they do callbacks, but I can't remember how many they said a year or if they did. They said it would be less callbacks than what I do now in Tennessee I remember that so that's not bad. I still haven't called the Indiana clinic yet, but either way I'm going to try an set up a guest dose @ both clinics in the near future to go visit and check em out..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#62 [url]

Apr 14 13 4:09 AM

@Briton - 60% of everyone in your county us on methadone/subs, and a further 20% could use it?!

I could see it being 60% of 18-50 year olds, but there must be a huge proportion of elderly that aren't affected, as we do have an ageing population?

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#63 [url]

Apr 14 13 11:26 AM

@ Sapphire: It's pretty bad all over Tennessee.. I know that pretty much most of the age group like u stated 18-50 are the most common ones, but there's also alot of 15-17 year olds using too, and I've seen a lot of 60 somethings and a couple 70 somethings come into the clinic and we talked a little while we were waiting and the 60 year olds and 70 year olds said they were prescribed strong pain meds by their doc and got cut off or something happened and they didn't know what was going on because they were so sick, and they found out it was withdrawals. That's how they ended up getting into the clinic.

It's really a big problem though the pain meds that people are prescribed or abusing etc. I know alot of people take their medicine like they're supposed to, but the problem is when the doctors just abruptly cut a patient off their strong pain meds and then they're left to be sick ya know. A lot of this happened when Tennessee started cracking down on pain meds not long ago.

I don't remember when it was, but it wasn't all that long ago, but they have it now pretty much where all patients in Tennessee have to go to a pain management doc to get their pain meds, and also their xanax, benzos they're making patients go to pain management or at least a lot of them. That makes no sense to me because I don't see xanax being a reason for someone to have to go to pain management.

I know some docs still prescribe a few pain meds to certain patients, but I know in my county where I live alot of the docs aren't prescribing narcotics to any patients because of whatever it was that went down here in Tennessee not long ago. I feel bad for people that really need their narcotic pain meds because their being done wrong by the government doing this or whoever it is doing it.

People are always going to find a way to get their meds off the street, and there's different ways the state could've went about the issue instead of making people with legit pain problems suffer. If alot of people wouldn't give methadone a bad name I think there would be alot less addicts because my opinion they would get into treatment. If people wouldn't tell the myths of methadone about how its just so much harder to get off of, and its terrible on ur body and all that then there would be a lot more people getting help. Also if places like here in Tennessee would quit under dosing patients we would see alot better outcomes in treatment and alot less failed drug tests my opinion..

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#64 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:30 AM

@Philly, I suppose what I was questioning was that I couldn't imagine 60-80% of the whole county, which would obviously include the over 70's and the under 16's, which IMO, are not likely to be addicted to anything in as high numbers as 60-80% of them!!

I think some pain clinics give out benzo's as they act as a muscle relaxant, which can help some kinds of pain. I know they were offered to me for analgesia for neuropathic pain.

However, a genuine doctor would prescribe Oxazepam or Diazepam for this, not Xanax!!

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#65 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:55 AM

@sapphire I guess I should have qualified my answer with 60% of those ages 17-65.. ofcourse I know the little kids aren't needing methadone yet... lol..

@Zac_Talbot  I wish I knew where in the laws it states that you have 24hrs to return the call and 24hrs to get there because at either clinic I have attended if I got a call this morning at say 8am I would only have til 11am to get there tomorrow..

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#66 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:58 AM

@sapphire I guess I should have qualified my answer with 60% of those ages 17-65.. ofcourse I know the little kids aren't needing methadone yet... lol..

-briton32

Wow, good to know!! I was thinking if it was that high, the whole county must be high as a kite!!

It's bad where I live, but not that bad!

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#67 [url]

Apr 15 13 9:16 AM

Well I've been calling around, and left a message for the Indiana clinic to get back in touch with me and I decided to call a clinic in paducah Kentucky which is alot closer than all these other clinics. U know I've heard that Kentucky is as strict as Tennessee, but its not. I just spoke with the director, and nurses @ the Kentucky clinic and the only thing they're strict about is they put water on peoples carryouts, but as far as high doses go they said I wouldn't have a problem getting to 300mgs if I needed it.

They said they do peak and troughs after 120, but they allow u to get a lot more than 10mgs unlike Tennessee so that's awesome. The nurse and director told me that they have quite a few patients in the 200s and a few around 300mgs, and over 300mgs and they told me with as many peak and troughs that I've had in Tennessee that I would've already been in between 260-300 and something MG's depending on peak and through numbers.

Kentucky is a lot better than Tennessee as far as doses go. Kentucky allows patients to go over 300mgs whereas Tennessee u would never see that happen. I really like the way Kentucky is sounding, but the only thing like I said that Kentucky is strict about is the diversion control about putting water on your carryouts to keep patients from being able to sell them is what they said they do @ this particular clinic in paducah.

That wouldn't bother me @ all if they put water on mine as long as I didn't get more than 2 weeks @ a time. Yea I was surprised when I called Kentucky though and the nurse and director said o my you've been through it really rough in Tennessee and they said no patient should ever have to go through all that to have to get to a stable dose. Me and the nurse did talk for awhile and I told her that I'm still going to stay @ my clinic for awhile and see how things go, but that I may transfer there to Kentucky if things keep going bad here in Tennessee like they are.

I decided to call Kentucky though because one of my friends asked me why I haven't decided to maybe transfer to Kentucky and I said idk that i haven't thought about it, and they told me I should check Kentucky out because they had a few friends that went to Kentucky methadone clinics and they never had issues getting to a stable dose.

My friend told me that one was @ 190mgs, and the other was @ 275mgs, and I forgot what the other one was, but they never had any issues and they all got to their stable doses in their first year of treatment and that's good because I'm here in Tennessee and been in treatment for one year and four months and I'm @ 170, and still not @ a stable dose. Kentucky is good about getting patients to a stable dose which is great though.

I'm sure there are some clinics in Kentucky that are stricter than others, but the thing is this paducah clinic is a good clinic so people in Kentucky have the option of going there or Louisville, or wherever else unlike us in Tennessee we don't have that option there's no clinics in Tennessee that we can go to that are good @ getting patients on a dose they need to be @ if they need higher doses.

I'm really glad I called Kentucky though and found this out like I knew a clinic in Louisville was really good about getting patients on whatever dose they needed to be @, but I didn't know that there would be a clinic in Kentucky that's only two hours away from Tennessee where I'm @ that's a thousand times better lol.. This is good news though so now I know I've got quite a few good options that I can consider if I keep having problems in Tennessee..

Quote    Reply   

the elephantman

#68 [url]

Apr 15 13 11:32 AM

@philly: There is NO way i would stay in tennessee!!!! I would not even take a chance bc u will never be able to achieve proper dose or proper treatment in TN. And if u do, at what cost to you?? I mean TN is absolutely rediculous!!!! I would get out first chance i got and never look back. Seriously, GTFO OUT TN BUD!!!!

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#69 [url]

Apr 15 13 12:29 PM

@ Eman: Yea ur right, but I'm still calling around and checking out different clinics. My next step is to go guest dose @ these clinics that way I can meet the staff and ya know get a good feel of the place. It does suck being under dosed, but I'm moving up, but the thing is I'm moving up really slow and I'm having to jump through all their hoops and spending alot of $ on these peak and troughs.

I know I'm in a bad spot with all these hoops I'm having to get through, but it made it worse when I called Kentucky and they were pretty much telling me about all the people that come there from Tennessee because of how bad it is and Kentucky is not the best by far, but when it comes to getting someone to a proper dose Kentucky has alot of clinics that will because I found out that they are completely different than Tennessee Kentucky is great when it comes to getting to a stable dose.

@ Eman: I remember reading awhile back that u were having issues with getting to a stable dose and I was curious are things going alot better for u now in N.C.?? Have u got to a stable dose yet? I would like to go to a clinic in N.C, or S.C, but the drive would be too far for me because I'm in west Tennessee..

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#70 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:03 PM

@philly....where I think the issue will not get much better for you is nothing to do so much with the clinic you attend of the doctor as much as it is the State....Didn't you say the doctor is for the increasing and the State had declined you???

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

philly115

#71 [url]

Apr 15 13 4:40 PM

@ way: Yea state declined because they had given me 10mgs off that peak and through so they wanted me to get another peak and trough before they would approve. I just got done with my peak and trough and seeing the doc and state just approved my increase today to 170mgs so I just started my 170mgs as of today. What happened is I was trying to get 20mgs off the last peak and trough and state only wanted to give me 10mgs.

I was approved on my peak and trough last time from 150- 160, and then tried to get to 170 and they said I had to have another peak and trough before they approve me for 170 the state that is so I took another peak and trough and just got approved today for my 10mg increase to 170mgs. I'm gna try to get another 10mgs off this peak and trough to get to 180mgs if I need it which I'm sire I will need that and more the way I still feel, but they may deny, but if they do I'll have to take another peak and trough and they'll approve it.

Pretty much they're just super strict and they're going to probably make me take a peak and trough every 10mgs which is very very time consuming and costly, but I gotta do what I gotta do while I'm stuck here in Tennessee on methadone treatment ugh.

Quote    Reply   

the elephantman

#72 [url]

Apr 15 13 11:59 PM

@philly: Yep i have had NO problem achieving my proper dose at my new clinic in NC. The new clinic is awesome!!!! I love everything about it!! I finally feel like im suppose to. I wake up every mornin now still feeling 100% well from day befores dose. Its a great feelin to wake up still feeling normal. No sickness at all!!!!

I hope for u to reach that point very soon!!

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#73 [url]

Apr 16 13 12:28 AM

@ Eman: That's great bro. That's a really good thing when u can wake up the next morning with a full nights sleep and feeling refreshed instead of like me up and down all night because in hurting, sick, restless etc. Hopefully eventually I'll get to where I can wake up refreshed and actually get a good nights sleep.. It's amazing though how some clinics are so much better than others ya know like how u state eman how much better u feel @ ur new clinic that's an awesome thing.

I'm @ my clinic now I've been here for about 30 mins because if u don't get here really early you'll be here all day on doctor day because the doc is only here once a week and there will be a parking lot full when the clinic opens. I was the first to sign in, but there's already been 8 other people signed in after me already now. It takes a lot of dedication for people to get up early like that, but when ur still sick you'll get up early lol. I'm going to find out this morning when my doc is going to be leaving that way I know what I'll need to do, abs when I'll need to do it by. I figure I'll at least give this doc a shot, but it's just nerve racking because there's a million thoughts going through my head of what he'll say, but I've planned ahead for that so if he gets OK that low dose talk that I can just up and transfer.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#74 [url]

Apr 16 13 5:51 AM

@Eman - that sounds great! I'm so pleased that you've been able to find a clinic that meets your needs properly so you can feel normal!!

Quote    Reply   

briton32

#75 [url]

Apr 17 13 6:20 AM

Philly you do NOT want to go to the Paducah Clinic.. My clinic has had an influx of transfers from there because they wanna low dose people worse than tn..

Quote    Reply   

philly115

#76 [url]

Apr 17 13 6:55 AM

@ Briton: I appreciate the info, but actually paducah is better as far as giving patients higher doses. We've had a few people transfer from my clinic to Kentucky, and we've got a few people that come from Kentucky to our clinic, but they said they come from Kentucky to Tennessee because the Tennessee clinic is closer. Some people from Kentucky do come to Tennessee because we don't water the carryouts down like Kentucky does..

Briton the paducah clinic does peak and troughs just like Tennessee, but they don't make them get one every 10mgs like they have been doing here in Tennessee. The paducah clinic said they have patients on doses up to 300 and something MG's I believe. I do remember the nurse in paducah telling me about a patient come from Tennessee to the paducah clinic and they were on 100 MG's in Tennessee because Tennessee wouldn't does them any higher and then the paducah clinic did a peak and trough and the patient ended up getting to 280mgs which is where the nurse said there stable dose was.

Kentucky is actually a lot better as far as giving higher doses compared to Tennessee giving lower doses. I'm sure there are some clinics in Kentucky that aren't that good, but I know the one in Louisville is awesome, and the one in paducah has a lot of patients on 200 or more mg doses, and that's better than Tennessee because. Tennessee doesn't have any clinics that are like that where we can go here in Tennessee like Kentucky does.

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#78 [url]

Apr 17 13 8:28 AM

@philly115 - There is patient I know through NAMA that lives in KY, very close to the Paducah clinic & has several friends that attend &/or have attended that clinic. She choses to drive MUCH father into TENNESSEE to Midsouth Treatment Center in Dyersburg because Paducah is so bad... don't believe everything the clinic themselves tell you on the phone.  Always remember they have a profit motive for telling you anything they do.  (Not saying they're lying, just to take it all with a grain of salt.)  I don't know if KY is better or worse than TN... they're about equals.  I have heard MANY positive things about Midsouth Treatment Ctr (they are one of the only 3 of 12 TN OTP's that are not owned/operated by BHG - Behavioral Health Group). Granted, at the same time, the patient I am referring to found stability at 130mg's, so she certainly didn't have to battle the TN SOTA on a higher dose as you are having to.  But I have heard some negative things about Paducah. It's one of the "border clinics" that I deal with through the NAMA-R TN chapter. 

It would be closer for you to drive to Georgia I would think that to North Carolina... dip down through Alabama and across... Georgia is one of the BEST southern states for MMT. I drive to Georgia & the positive experience I have had at my current clinic (compared to one of the BHG clinics in Knoxville) is like night and day.  I personally know of a patient at a clinic in Georgia (not mine, another one a bit further south) that stabilized on 500mg's with no problems from the state.  Georgia is much better about trusting MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS to make MEDICAL DECISIONS... Just FYI.  (Granted 500mg's is a very rare, case-specific situation, but it is possible that a dose of that level is needed in some patients.)

@elephant_man - Do you live in TN and drive to NC for treatment? I live about 30-40mins southeast of Knoxville in Walland (Maryville area - Blount County). Which TN clinic did you attend before transferring to NC, if you don't mind me asking? I'd love to talk to you about patient advocacy opportunities with NAMA-Recovery! :-)

I hope you ALL have a good Wednesday on the road to recovery! 

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   

zac talbott

#79 [url]

Apr 17 13 8:32 AM

@brighton32 - Sorry... I just saw your comment. I'll find the regs where you have 24hours to return the call and another 24 hours from when you return the call to report to the clinic & get the link to you. I apologize I just now saw your comment... I must have missed it in all the others.

zt

Zac Talbott | Director & Patient Advocate

Together we can make a difference!

Visit NAMA Recovery's We Speak Methadone (and buprenorphine) Forums
and/or the Methadone & Buprenorphine Discussion group on Facebook

Quote    Reply   

tina41602

#80 [url]

Apr 17 13 9:28 AM

Zac thanks for the info on call backs... that is nothing like that in my KY clinic... If they call you at 5:00am u have until 2:00pm the same day to come in...(they close at 2:30)...  Re: the info you stated..is that a federal regulation? or state?...do you know anything about the regs in KY concerning call backs?
thanks

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help