Remove this ad

roman

#261 [url]

Feb 20 13 2:54 PM

I'm getting off methadone. My dad said he would help me only if I got truly clean. So I'm taking off a week or two and just toughimg it out. Done it before I can do it again. It's gonna suck but it needs to be done. I was fine before when I got clean just got to stay sober!

-bumthat

bum,i dont know if you heard or know about mike star,he was on dr.stupid,they made him stop,he went absolutely nuts,
he ended up dieing,this isnt good for you rite now,but it will work itself out,just keep on mmt please.
good luck to you.
roman.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

bumthat

#262 [url]

Feb 27 13 11:50 PM

they still haven't called for my appointment for the physical that i need to take before I go. Its been over a month now so I have given up. I call and the lady never answers or calls me back. its pretty fucked up not to call or answer. but I got a job next to my house and my family is getting me a car so I can get around. I got to save up money to get my own place since my sis is moving to cali in april when she graduates and my dad is selling the house cause he doesn't need it anymore since my mom left him. So i got to find me a place which is good cause I am thinking more about working and finding a place than about doing dope. once i get a car I am really gonna go to as many meetings as possible to help to urges to get dope. might try to get into school.

Quote    Reply   

bkeithphelps74

#263 [url]

Feb 28 13 12:05 PM

Any reason it HAS to be this particular treatment center? I can't remember the details (financial matters, etc), so if it had to do w/ability to pay or something, don't feel like I'm just ignoring your limitations - I do understand b/c I was there more than a few times (not able to pay for treatment, so my options were very limited...) But I'm just wondering - couldn't you just find a different treatment center that would be willing to do intake & would actually call you back like you matter to them, rather than treating you like it's no emergency that you get help as this one is doing? That used to REALLY piss me off (& still does - I just don't have to deal w/it anymore for myself) when treatment centers act like it doesn't bother them in the slightest that you have a super-huge dope problem you need immediate help with & you can't get in for another half a year or something. When I was awaiting a bed at my first detox center in MD, I asked them what should I do until I could get there b/c I was going to get sick. They told me "Keep doing what you've been doing up to this point." I was like "First of all, who says I can afford to keep doing that? And second, I am shooting 20 bags of heroin a day - you REALLY want to suggest to me that I continue doing THAT?" That was by FAR a matter of life or death, & they were just as flippant as if I'd called to ask them when they could groom my dog or something. My parents were extremely angry with them about it, I was, & beyond what I just mentioned, the other thing about it was that I stood the chance of getting arrested at ANY minute, buying 20 bags of dope a day, everyday. I didn't want to have that happen, so it angered me even more that they just told me to keep doing it. I know & understand that there may have been no TRUE good answer to my question when I asked them at that time, but come on! At least they could have suggested I go to my private doc & see if he could help me with any type of medication to ease w/d's or whatever else he might think of to do - b/c as we all know, some docs will help temporarily if you're awaiting a bed in treatment. At that time, though, I had no idea about that.

So anyway, give that some thought & maybe do some checking to see what's available to you before you just decide to skip out on treatment. I know it's tempting, mostly b/c you've now been away from dope to my knowledge for a few weeks & want to get back to living life. But opioid addiction has a way of sneaking up on you VERY quickly & quietly & before you even take 30 seconds to really think about what you're doing, you've already tossed down 3 Lortab 10's or Percs or done a shot of dope just b/c a friend said "Look what I've got!!" out of the blue one day. That happened to me right after I got out of prison & hadn't planned to use. I tossed back the 3 Vicodin HP's he showed me & the next day, I was out of town filling a fake prescription for a whole bottle of 40 more after having been clean for almost 2.5 years. That was all it took for me to be right back at it full-force after all that time. And within a matter of about 3 to 4 weeks (which is a long time for me usually when it comes to this), I was already back physically hooked & needing them to prevent w/d's, which meant filling fake scripts almost every single day. I ended up caught again before I'd been out of prison 4 whole months. I had to detox in jail all over again, which took me a month, as usual (b/c I had a doc that was trying to help me by giving me a tapering dose of methadone). I was only taking 20mg of methadone a day by then, & it hurt & caused as many problems for me as coming off 120mg/day 2 years ago. So my point is, & you already know, this whole thing is a real bitch to handle & can come up on you before you know what hit you if you aren't prepared. If there's ANY WAY to do so, take the time to do the treatment. It can't hurt, & it might just be the help you need to make it w/out MMT, as you're wanting to do. Just my advice. Best wishes.

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#264 [url]

Mar 1 13 3:26 AM

they still haven't called for my appointment for the physical that i need to take before I go. Its been over a month now so I have given up. I call and the lady never answers or calls me back. its pretty fucked up not to call or answer. but I got a job next to my house and my family is getting me a car so I can get around. I got to save up money to get my own place since my sis is moving to cali in april when she graduates and my dad is selling the house cause he doesn't need it anymore since my mom left him. So i got to find me a place which is good cause I am thinking more about working and finding a place than about doing dope. once i get a car I am really gonna go to as many meetings as possible to help to urges to get dope. might try to get into school.

-bumthat

Is there anywhere else you can go? Or how about Suboxone/Subutex, if you don't want to go to MMT?

Are you actually going to any meetings now, or getting any kind of treatment/help? Or are you still using?

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#265 [url]

Mar 1 13 1:25 PM

I will be very honest about how I was able to get treatment the last time I was in a no way to get around it moment in my life.  Being a paralegal I had the insight knowledge that all drug facilities well most that use grants and/or funding by different agencies usually are required to have a few free beds...a few DOC beds and a few Court Order (Marchman/Baker Act Beds).  Since I had so far been lucky to avoid the DOC Route, my choice was to get a family member involved for one of the Court Ordered Commitment Beds.   

Be prepared once you begin the action it is very soon out of your control so be sure this is what you wanna do.  I decided 5 days in that I did not want to stay so I left and ended up in jail for five days awaiting a bed to open up or the old treatment facility allowing me to come back which they were telling my mom they were not going to allow.  If someone of you remember the story I submitted here regarding the lady who ran the facility was a enemy from AA/NA as I had dated a boyfriend of hers and she put me through the effin ringer for 90 days, no to mention the five days she threatened not to allow me to come back plus when I got back I was threatened about my every move being insubordinate and I was threatened with jail...

So back to the treatment cost....I called my mother after my last dime for dope was gone the motel I was living in was kicking me to the curb and I was in between starved for food and the beginnings of a date with death or wishing for death as the withdrawals were going to set in soon right around the next day or so.  I had like 6 minutes left on my prepaid phone and I knew somehow I had to convince my mother who I had not seen nor talked to in almost three years (but she lived 5 miles away) to come get me take me to her house, hospital or detox.  She was not a mother that allowed any foolishness whatsoever I know I would have to agree to something I would not be wanting to do voluntarily so as not to waste my minutes, my time or hers I had to make myself responsive to treatment/detox. 

So before much more than hello came out of my mouth I said to her Mom please come get me I am sick...I need help and I need you to help me get a treatment bed.  I cried she cried and within 15 minutes my sister (who has the same problem and bought dope from me almost daily) drove up and threw my things in her car.   When we got to my mom's she handed my mom 30 10 milligram lortabs and told mom to give me two every 12 hours not one second early and not one extra pill.  She was all high and mighty now and she loved it when I was in the picture cause it took the limelight off her addiction problems etc.... 

The next morning my Mom and I drove to the detox where there were no beds and then we went to the court house and picked up commitment papers.  We went back to the house as I was already showing signs of withdrawals and this was scaring the hell out of my mom as hse has seen me at my sickest before.  Luckily for me what she had seen was benzo withdrawals so she was pretty liberal with the lortabs as she thought I was going to go into seizures etc....

She did the Marchman Act and soon after we filed the papers I was picked up by the Sheriff's department and delivered to detox and from that point on out I was powerless to allow my mom and the case manager find a place for me to go as the next day I was delivered to court where my mother was able to tell the Judge I needed treatment...he asked me if I would go or was I contesting it I said I would go and so he ordered me to 90 days inpatient pending available bed and where detox would house me until a bed as secured. 

Anyways the moral to the story was there are more ways to secure treatment than one...and if you want it bad enough...be willing to listen and do whatever you can to become responsive to the process.  Since your family likes to help and get involved here is a suggestion of another way to do it and even include them. 

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Wishing You Best In Love & Life 
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

dharmageddon

#266 [url]

Mar 2 13 9:36 PM

That is a great idea Way but i don't think they have the Baker/Marchman act everywhere. I know they don't in Ga. It is only bc of dealing with it in FL that i know this. It would work if worse comes to worse to go where they do have it, though.
It is true where there is a will there is a way! No pun intended.....LOL

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be. -Pink Floyd

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#267 [url]

Mar 4 13 1:22 AM

Yeah only Florida has the Marchman Act because Stewart Marchman set it up and it is used solely for drug addiction or alcoholism....But all states have a adult commitment application of some kind and that is the process.  It is called "Civil Commitment".

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#268 [url]

Mar 4 13 4:42 AM

Eek, once you're commited though, if you hate it, I doubt there is anyway of getting out of it.

Don't you sort of forfeit a lot of your rights once you're committed as a patient under any Mental Health act?

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#269 [url]

Mar 4 13 9:21 AM

I have not seen any ill effect from the commitment I underwent in 2006 long term or in my rights etc...Although five days into the 90 days I left and like I said I went to jail until they could find me a bed again to finish out the order and yes I had to start over.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#270 [url]

Mar 4 13 9:50 AM

Oh right, I see that you can just leave when you want then.

What I was worried about was, if you're commited under any Mental Health act in this country, you cannot leave treatment under your own say so, and some of your rights are revoked (only when you're in treatment though, this doesn't apply once you're back in the community).

I suppose I was thinking that people might want to leave, and then not be allowed, but that is obviously not the case!!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

whippy witch

#271 [url]

Mar 4 13 11:17 AM

Saphire,

Even if it is a voluntary commitment.  It has been years since I pulled out my Mental Health Practitioner hat.  But we USED to have voluntary and involuntary commitments. 

Most of the people I worked with YEARS ago (remember I am old and crusty) opted for voluntary commits as they then could leave if they wanted to.  Possibly to be involuntarily committed.  

WW

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#272 [url]

Mar 4 13 12:35 PM

Oh right, I see that you can just leave when you want then.
What I was worried about was, if you're commited under any Mental Health act in this country, you cannot leave treatment under your own say so, and some of your rights are revoked (only when you're in treatment though, this doesn't apply once you're back in the community).

I suppose I was thinking that people might want to leave, and then not be allowed, but that is obviously not the case!!

-sapphire76

This is what I am saying of you are committed under a court order...YOU CAN NOT LEAVE...I mean well you can but a civil arrest is put on you where you are picked up and detained in either jail/detox or hospital until you can re-enter a treatment facility.  I actually went to jail for five days because I left in this incident.

So do not do like I did and talk your family into committing you so you can get treatment (free if you can't afford it) UNLESS you are willing to stay at all cost because if you leave you will be arrested in most cases.  I did hear after the fact that had my mom not went back to the judge and told the judge what I did I probably would not have been arrested....or the facility could have reported it to the court and judge but they usually do not because they want the bed to go to a paying customer or at least to someone who wants the help/treatment etc....

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#273 [url]

Mar 5 13 7:18 AM

Ah, I see what you mean now!!! Doesn't sound like a good thing at all, if you are not 100% sure you're going to stay the course!

Quote    Reply   

bumthat

#274 [url]

Apr 5 13 6:10 AM

well update. They to date still have never called me nor answer any of my 100's of phone calls/messages! That really pisses me off! but I had aquired some suboxone the last time I bought some dope months ago and weened off with them. I do still have urges to use but had a few people screw me out of a few bucks so they dont talk to me which turned out to be a good thing cause I have no ways of getting any dope. Plus my priorities have changed since my dad is selling the house so Im getting a car in the next month and already saving for a place. been working at a place in walking distance from my house which worked out perfectly. Gonna start selling boiled peanuts on the weekends here soon for extra cash. But be drug free for a good while now. everytime I think about using I just remember feeling like shit and how much I lost. Im slowly doing better and dont wanna start over again. I Just cut off talking to anyone that I did dope with so I cant get it or get any tempting phone calls. Just focusing on working and working toward my goals.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#275 [url]

Apr 8 13 11:37 AM

Good for you @Bum when you get settled selling peanuts tell me where you selling them on the weekend and when Eman and I go to our clinic every other Saturday I will swing by the stand....White Horse Road would be a great place to sell on side of road....

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

mikeaust

#276 [url]

Jan 3 14 4:02 PM

rapid detox

@bum I can really empathize with your situation but I'm afraid you are doomed to fail, because you are not coming off it for YOU, you coming off it because you father is demanding it. It's an understandable but fatal mistake. You'll suffer badly, get angry at your father, and it'll all just trigger a relapse onto oxycodone, hydrocodone or any other opiate. Worse still it may trigger an increase in benzo use and even alcohol.
Keep in touch and stay safe!

Mike.

Quote    Reply   

wayovermyhead

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#278 [url]

Jan 6 14 8:00 PM

awe bumthat? I wish I Knew how he is..

If his Dad actually ever left him alone...did he get help..???  All that.  He struggled hard...

@bum if you are out there check in good or bad makes no difference we all care and I think of you every two weeks when I drive thru Greenville SC

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
wayovermyhead

Quote    Reply   

sapphire76

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

#279 [url]

Jan 7 14 5:28 AM

Yeah I was wondering what happened to him too. Last I heard his dad was getting him into a residential rehab. If you're out there @Bumthat, let us know what's going on!!

Quote    Reply   

kar92

#280 [url]

May 21 14 1:01 PM

what you said.. I know this is old old old

bumthat wrote:

But when I read this above, I thought Gee that is a LOT of stress, I am so sorry your family has kind of disbanded or broken up..  I know that it is a very difficult time in a young man's life when he has feelings about what he is going to "do" or "be" in his life, which job, what am I going to do with my life, should I finish college, should I go to grad school or should I take an OJT job, etc...  which I see that you have been talking about every so often. I have watched every male in my family go through it, excdpt my father who of course already had a profession, it's a lot of pressure to make the decision about how you will present yourself to the world and make money and make a living, in order to have a life, a famliy of your own, and so forth...

Anyhow, I know nobody posts on this thread anymore and I haven't finished reading it yet, only got to this page but have to stop, will continue tomorrow. so I do'nt know what ever happened with bumthat and the treatment/ or rehab/ or NA.

Anyhow, I see a lot of people posted on it,, It certainly did stir up a lot of passion, and good to see everyone feels so strongly about recovery even if some people disagree about how or what recovery is.

Reading over it so far it does seem to me that Sub (subutex) would have been good for bumthat since he did seem to be able to use it for a short time,  Only problem is that it costs a LOT of money if U don't have insurance unless U get generic Subutex. I agree with about everyone that Medication Assisted Treatment is the way to go.

Anyhow, this is probably the first post on this thread in a year, and will be the last.  But it was good to see everyone chiming in to help, even if people disagreed with what the definition of "help" is/ or was/

So will read the rest of it tomorrow, and I guess find out what happened.

K

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help